Survived Hawk attack

Backyard Bruce

Songster
Apr 11, 2018
Sullivan County, N.Y.
Had the flock out today as I was working on the electric in their coop.

Heard a crazy squawking coming from one of the birds and came running out.

A hawk, I think it was anyway, flew off from the middle of the yard and I immediately start counting birds, one RIR is missing!!!

Then she emerges from behind the wood pile kind of disheveled and disoriented and scoots under the porch.

I coaxed her out and she seems okay but for some missing feathers.

I look behind the wood pile and there’s a bunch of her feathers there, no blood anywhere on her or the attack site.

I think we got lucky today.

:ranthawks!
I feel the panic you must have had!
We watch constantly for Hawks, and all of the predators in the sky more so than ground predators. So, decided no more and just made a 8x25 run area for six hens. Wrapped it tight with shade cover and surrounded the bottom with the expensive poultry cloth.
So happy she survived!! I imagine she will be on high alert for a bit. Poor girl!
:(

Yeah I have a good size run for them as well but I kicked them out of all of it so I could do my work.

I also have a rooster who is ALWAYS on alert except for this time obviously.

The rooster and all the polish hens were out and about like nothing happened at all.
The three other RIR’s were also not phased at all but under cover but I think they were undercover to begin with and had no idea of what just happened.

I had nearly the exact situation on Saturday. The attacked hen is okay. I have another older hen that is refusing to come out of the coop unless I am there. I check on them 3-4 times a day and all 6 are either inside the coop (not laying in the nest boxes unless laying an egg) or underneath the coop. Anyone know how long they will be paranoid like this? Funny thing is the hen that was attacked is still laying and doesn't appear to be as stressed as the older hens!

Back
Top Bottom