Surviving Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Bogtown Chick, Nov 18, 2015.

1. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Good morning! Up and at em! Coffee is brewing and the roosters are crowing.

I am making more scrambled eggs this AM
    Some for me some for sick chicken :)

1 person likes this.
  2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    My poor birds are locked up for 2 weeks starting today. This is not going to be easy on them. They are so use to being free everyday to run around the yard. I have never left them without my DW being here to care for them. This is so different.

I know everyone seems tosay it takes 2 weeks with the lights to get eggs, but I am getting more eggs already. I got 8 yesterday.
    I had no plans to turn on the lights this early, but I needed to put a heat lamp on my home made waterer to keep it from freezing. I put the heat lamp on a timer with the regular light bulb, So I have heat on the drinking cups from 4 am until 4 pm. Which gives them time to drink.

The creamettes have light from 4-9 am. Them I planned to light up this early, I need their eggs to start hatching in January. I will be making some changes today also. I have to pull a BA pullet out of the creamettes pen, (she grew up with the Creamettes. thinks she is one) And I have a half breed in there, It is a creamette EE cross. Kind of an "so ugly it is cute bird".

I am thinking of putting another rooster in with the creamettes, I have 11 hens for one rooster, I think that maybe too many hens for the poor rooster. But I would hate to get the backs bared on the hens too, Thoughts?

Otherwise it is an odds and ends day. Filling waterers, and feeders and packing to leave in the morning. My new DW is awaiting me at the Grand Ol Opry.

3. lvie

lvie Chillin' With My Peeps

YOU need to sleep later. You are retired ya know.
    Good Morning on this balmy fall day. Drinking black tea (this is a new thing for me) and with some honey to help it is delicious. DH says we are going to insulate that roof - soon and then the warm air in the coop will not meet the cold metal roof and hence, no more condensation. IF DH is going to enthusiastically help me - and he will when I tell him the reasoning behind the cause - then I am not going to argue with him - for now. LOL

4. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hencam, Fi looks awful, molting, but at least she is with the others today.

1 person likes this.
  5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I wish I could sleep later...

Keeping the moisture from condensing on the metal with insulation is good, however, it could make things worse for the birds by leaving the moisture in the air in the coop. You need to get it out, in my humble opinion.

6. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Especially during the last months a pregnant cow needs additional protein. If you have high quality alfalfa hay it will help. In addition you can feed a mixed feed as a supplement, or you could feed a protein and mineral block that they consume free choice. Ask at your feed store, and they should be able to assist you. Much depends upon what type of hay you are feeding.

7. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Ralphie, who are you planning to see in Nashville again. I am quite selective in the country artists who I appreciate, but there are a few I would enjoy seeing perform in person. I have to say I would rather see them in Vegas. This will be the first time in many years that I will not be there during the National Finals Rodeo.

8. KlopKlop

KlopKlop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2015
    Southern Minnesota
    Ralphie are we going to be without your presence for 2 weeks or will you be online from the Grand? Last time you were gone for that long there were wild speculations flying around involving you and Bigfoot.... :)

9. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Venting is always a good idea ivie, but your DH is right in that the condensation from an uninsulated roof is a huge moisture maker.

Our brand new 'insulated' garage molded it's first year and we discovered they had forgot to blow insulation the area above the ceiling between the rafters. I know about that all too well from experience.

The relative humidity from this storm is atrocious. I wish I could squeeze out my coop and run. It is wringing wet.

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

There are a bunch of them, the biggest name is Carrie Underwood. We have tickets for the grand ol opry. They have 6-8 artists each night, I am sure they only sing a song or two.

I have never been to a big name Rodeo, unless the North Star in Effie qualifies. I would think it would be fun.

I will be around, unlike Togo, the places we are going now have internet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by