Sussex and Cochin questions..

Juan Ortez

Hatching
Dec 14, 2017
ever since we bought our coronation Sussex and a partridge Cochin, I noticed their faces look so similar and they both act similar. They’re both very pretty hens (in my opinion lol) and I’ve been looking around the internet to find any correlation to Sussex and Cochin. Was wondering if anyone can help me out or has thought the same too? Will post pics when I get the chance

Hi. welcome to BYC! :frow

Let's see, They're both chickens with feathers, straight combs, and 4 toes. Yes, Coronation and Partridge should both be beautiful.

But the Cochin should have feathered legs and feet while the Sussex should not.

Pics always welcome! ;)

I guess what you might really be getting at is was there any of the same breeds used in the linage to make a Cochin and a Sussex. I know some birds have nice recorded ancestry. Maybe if you look at the history of each breed you might find a common ancestor there. Sorry I don't really know. :oops:

Hi. welcome to BYC! :frow

Let's see, They're both chickens with feathers, straight combs, and 4 toes. Yes, Coronation and Partridge should both be beautiful.

But the Cochin should have feathered legs and feet while the Sussex should not.

Pics always welcome! ;)

I guess what you might really be getting at is was there any of the same breeds used in the linage to make a Cochin and a Sussex. I know some birds have nice recorded ancestry. Maybe if you look at the history of each breed you might find a common ancestor there. Sorry I don't really know. :oops:
lol I knew that! But that is what I’m getting at as they look so similar based of their faces lol. I also have another question on one of my roosters. He came with the Cochin and the Sussex (along with many other chickens) and I still haven’t figured out what breed he is.
I’m going to post pictures of the Sussex and the Cochin later when I edit this reply.

Attachments

• 377A3909-46C0-4721-962D-A4E93516772E.jpeg
    377A3909-46C0-4721-962D-A4E93516772E.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 22
Ya, I was being silly! :p

That's not a good pic of the roo to see his color and stuff. Are those feathered legs on him?
Oof sorry about the bad pic but it’s the most recent one. Yes he does have feathered feet. He’s interesting because he’s the only one that looks completely different and reminds me of a prehistoric bird

There is common genetic history between the Cochin and the Sussex.
The Light Sussex was created from the Silver Grey Dorking, the Brahma ,
and the Cochin.
Go to the Hathitrust Digital Library website. Search for "The Sussex Fowl ", by Sharpe. It is free and full view online. You want page 46. Sharpe was the originator of the Light Sussex.
The Coronation Sussex is simply the Light Sussex to which is been added either a blue or a lavender Gene which turns the black feathers to blue or lavender . So other than the addition of the blue or lavender Gene, the genetic heritage on the Coronation is the same as the Light Sussex.
Best,
Karen and the Light Sussex in Western Pennsylvania

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom