Swollen Hot Legs

NewerChick

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 16, 2013
I have a chicken with Swollen, Hot legs and is now starting to walk pigeon toed. Poor baby is actually starting to step on her own feet as she walks. She's 3 1/2 months old.
She eats well. Plenty of Fruit, grain and bugs. Bugs however are becoming few and far in between as she sits more now and is only getting the bugs that seem to cross her path. Vary clean housing. A friend that looked at her said she is at a very healthy weight and is puzzled by what might be wrong with her. PLEASE, does anyone has any ideas?? Do you think Antibiotics will help? I have Penicillin 250 mg on hand but wouldn't know the dosage for a chicken.

No wounds on her feet. Scratch, eggshells, Fruit (strawberries, cantalope, apples, peaches, grapes, avicado, watermelon), chicken feed. Purina. I really spoil them or so I'm told. grind up the fruit so they can eat it easilly.

Chicken feed should make up at least 90% of total intake since it is formulated for optimal nutrition.
Scratch and fruit have very little protein. They need at least 16% to maintain body, feathers and make eggs.
Adding scratch and fruit drops the protein below that level. Adding fish, meat and dairy can compensate.
Sometimes when we try to spoil our chickens, it's like feeding our kids a lot of candy and ice cream.

I'm not saying this contributes to hot legs but it all starts with nutrition, ventilation and cleanliness.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. Cleanliness and ventilation I seem to have down very well. Maybe by spoiling them and giving them to much scratch and fruit it is taking away something. I'll not give them as much scratch. What would you suggest for a fast protein boost? Please suggest certain types of protein. Like Cooked fish? I'm up for trying anything for her...

Sweet!!! Going out to feed her now... Thank you so much!!! Cross your fingers for her that it works. If not, well she'll get a Great lunch. Huh? Poor baby she deserves it.....

I was originally thinking bumble foot.
I then got distracted but at 3 1/2 months, it's possibly at least 3 other things I can think of.
Do some research on staphylococcic arthritis, osteopetrosis, and infectious synovitis. The first two are somewhat more common but seeing no injury or wound I'd lean toward osteo.

Well, all Four just had a very healthy protein full lunch. I steamed up some fresh fish. (lol) I told you I spoil them.
Ummm, Okay. I'll look those up and see what they say. I do have antibiotics.. Thank you so much for your reply and help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom