Take chick away from mom?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KauAnnie, Jul 27, 2011.

1. KauAnnie

KauAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Is it ok for me to take the chick away from his mom so he gets use to being handled?

2. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it is fine to check on the baby, but I would only take it for short time periods and make sure momma takes it back without any problem. She probably is the best one to raise it if you can let her.

3. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    Mama probably won't want you to handle them. My broody chases me away all puffed up and vicious. haha

4. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Chicks raised by broodies tend to be more afraid of people. I'd personally try to handle the chick a bit everyday, offering treats to Mom and chick too. She can do most of the work, seeing as the is living brooder, but unless you handle the chick, don't expect it to be a friendly adult!

5. KauAnnie

KauAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Quote:Thanks!! I sure will play with him everyday

6. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    How friendly is your broody? Mine are very friendly, they come running up to me as soon as they see me and start clucking for the babies to come over too because I usually bring them treats. The babies are about 5-6 weeks old now, and now usually beat momma to me when they see me. They are a lot more friendly than my brooder raised chicks who didn't start to like me until about laying age.

7. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    It all depends i feel. I didn't handle my BO babies much but my one that made it out of the two is very friendly to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by