Teen Drivers Anyone?

Today's situation is different than when I was a kid... We only had the radio, and rowdy friends, for distraction....Now, there are cellphones, texting, I Pods, etc...If I had a kid, he/ she would be on permanent probation, until after high school. I would look at his phone, each evening, and if it was being used, during the time he was, supposedly, on the road, his driving privileges would suspended, for a time.

Someone I know just recently got in a big car crash and almost went off a bridge because of it.
ep.gif
They were driving along when another car (which had two drunk teenagers, I think) smashed into them. She had to go to the hospital and was pretty injured because of it, but I think now she is doing better and was able to go home from the hospital.
wee.gif
I'm so glad she wasn't more seriously injured. And I'm mad at the ignorant drunk teenagers who caused the crash!
rant.gif

I agree that now they give out licenses way too young; The limit here is 15 years old to get your permit and license.
th.gif

Quote:
I agree with this, except looking at it EVERY evening would seem like a bit overdoing, don't you think? I mean, you should have at least some trust with your teens because if you don't ever trust them, you won't give them space to make their own mistakes. Being protective is good, but being overprotective isn't, in my opinion. I would understand that you would want to protect your teens, but you must be protective and trusting them at the same time.
smile.png
I'm just saying.....lol

Talking on your cellphone and texting with your cellphone is illegal when driving in Ontario now (Maybe all of Canada? I don't remember...)

I use my ipod in the car but I have a set playlist and it sticks to that, but most of the time I'm too lazy to bring my ipod and listen to the satellite radio my car has.

I don't think the fear will end - sorry.

But - make sure rules are established and you expect them to be followed. No texting or phone use. No speeding. Only allow one passenger at a time. LIMIT driving - IMO only necessary driving should be allowed in the beginning with occassional use for movies, etc. Absolutely wear seatbelt at all times! Our DD must let us know where she is and where she's planning on going.

I also researched before we got a car for our teenage DD to check on the crash tests - there are big differences.

Accidents will happen and I don't think all accidents are punishable - if it's a driving error due to inexperience I don't think any punishment other than helping to pay for repairs would be necessary but if it's due to breaking the rules then all consequences apply.

Good luck and maybe some meditation or prayer for yourself ...
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom