Tempermental chickens

meganlo

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2018
So all of a sudden my 3 week old chicks freak out when I try to pick them up! What’s up with that? They used to come and snuggle with me.

It could be a startle response. Hawks come from above so chickens do not like things coming over the top of them. They do not like being touched on the back in general. Try approaching them at a lower angle and touching them from the breast and not the back

I handle all my chicks frequently. I think they do go through a funky stage ..especially the little cockerals seem to get more funky about being handled as they get older.

Could also be pin feathers growing in, they can be 'uncomfortable',
one must be very careful handling a bird full of pin feathers.
Plus most chicks and chickens really don't like to be handled much,
it's the natural 'flight' reaction of a prey animal.
Even with frequent and consistent handling some will never come to enjoy it.
And they can change their minds too, have had chicks that loved to be picked up all if sudden not like it....and also chicks that hated being handled come up and apparently want to be touched and picked up. Just recently had a pullet start to hang out on the roost or perch next to me letting me touch her all over where before she was one of the most skittish birds in the flock. SMH<shrugs> ya just never know with live animals.

Chicks increasingly get scared as they get older as they become more aware but soon the consistency things in their life wont scare them i.e. the water hose used to now they know, the rake when i clean, when they were little my voice would scare them coming into the room where the brooder was but they will get used to you again

Back
Top Bottom