Terrible hatch rate 2/12 eggs, is it time to intervene?

Anne9600

Hatching
May 26, 2018
Hey guys, this is my first hatch. I have a fan forced incubator with a temp. gauge and no humidity gauge that i borrowed from my boss. He claims he has always had great success with it, but then told me about how he had to help chicks hatch, so I now suspect that is not so true. It has two little wells in it, you keep the smaller one filled with water until day 18, then fill the second larger one from lockdown onwards. Since lockdown the humidity must have been very high as there was condensation on the sides of the incubator.
Up until lockdown I turned the eggs 3 times per day. However between day 10-13 I was away and a friend turned my eggs for me, she was only able to turn them twice a day.
I have 12 silkie eggs shipped from one seller. It is also mid autumn in NZ, so the odds were stacked against me. However to my delight all 12 eggs started developing. At day 16, the last day I candled, I had 11 alive eggs, one maybe (seemed less developed than the others). 5 eggs did have saddle air cells, so I knew to expect some losses. But I was not prepared for the disaster of a hatch.
On day 22 two eggs pipped. By the end of day 22 I had two beautiful healthy silkie chicks (I'll post photos soon). However it is now day 24 and I am losing hope that any of the others are going to hatch. No one else has pipped. My biggest suspect is humidity obviously, but is there anything I can do? Should I intervene? I could candle to see if there are any internal pips in the air cells, but we are talking about 10 eggs here, that's a lot of opening and closing the incubator. I assume it's far too late to reduce the humidity. I have been so anxious to the lead-up of this hatch and now I'm just devastated.

Hey guys, this is my first hatch. I have a fan forced incubator with a temp. gauge and no humidity gauge that i borrowed from my boss. He claims he has always had great success with it, but then told me about how he had to help chicks hatch, so I now suspect that is not so true. It has two little wells in it, you keep the smaller one filled with water until day 18, then fill the second larger one from lockdown onwards. Since lockdown the humidity must have been very high as there was condensation on the sides of the incubator.
Up until lockdown I turned the eggs 3 times per day. However between day 10-13 I was away and a friend turned my eggs for me, she was only able to turn them twice a day.
I have 12 silkie eggs shipped from one seller. It is also mid autumn in NZ, so the odds were stacked against me. However to my delight all 12 eggs started developing. At day 16, the last day I candled, I had 11 alive eggs, one maybe (seemed less developed than the others). 5 eggs did have saddle air cells, so I knew to expect some losses. But I was not prepared for the disaster of a hatch.
On day 22 two eggs pipped. By the end of day 22 I had two beautiful healthy silkie chicks (I'll post photos soon). However it is now day 24 and I am losing hope that any of the others are going to hatch. No one else has pipped. My biggest suspect is humidity obviously, but is there anything I can do? Should I intervene? I could candle to see if there are any internal pips in the air cells, but we are talking about 10 eggs here, that's a lot of opening and closing the incubator. I assume it's far too late to reduce the humidity. I have been so anxious to the lead-up of this hatch and now I'm just devastated.

Intervene if you think it is nesaccary. Because it is so late in the hatch they may be dead. I would certainty open the air cell end and have a look if you can save any.

So many questions come to mind. For starters did you calibrate your thermometer? It sounds like the incubator ran a little cooler with the day 22 hatch.
Sorry about the hatch. It can be tough to loose them especially after having a good start.
Also get a reliable humidity gauge and calibrate it as well. Moisture on incubator the whole hatch? If so it was definitely high. If it was wet only at hatch that could well be the chicks moisture

So many questions come to mind. For starters did you calibrate your thermometer? It sounds like the incubator ran a little cooler with the day 22 hatch.
Sorry about the hatch. It can be tough to loose them especially after having a good start.
Also get a reliable humidity gauge and calibrate it as well. Moisture on incubator the whole hatch? If so it was definitely high. If it was wet only at hatch that could well be the chicks moisture
No the moisture only started after lockdown. I didn't calibrate my thermometer, but running cold would explain the late hatch. With the incubator I have there's no space to run an extra wire in to measure humidity, if that makes any sense? It's all sealed up on the sides. The two chicks didn't seem particularity wet, however they didn't fluff up completely until after I took them out of the incubator (about 12h after they hatched).

Well I opened every egg, all 10 were dead. Two were upside-down, but the rest were pretty normal positions. I’m kicking myself for not intervening sooner, many had pipped internally in the right place, and two had pipped externally, but underneath the egg where I couldn’t see them.

Everyone might not agree with this suggestion but I have always had better hatch rate when I don't rotate eggs for first 7 to 10 days.I always spray my eggs with hydrogen peroxide place eggs big end up in incubator and leave them alone till day 10.
After that I begin rotating till lockdown.

Everyone might not agree with this suggestion but I have always had better hatch rate when I don't rotate eggs for first 7 to 10 days.I always spray my eggs with hydrogen peroxide place eggs big end up in incubator and leave them alone till day 10.
After that I begin rotating till lockdown.
What hatch rates are you getting with shipped eggs?

What hatch rates are you getting with shipped eggs?
I don't buy shipped eggs.They rarely have good hatch rare.If you are going to have eggs shipped make sure you buy from a close as possible.Shorter shipping time the better.

Back
Top Bottom