That was easier than I thought it would be.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ifowldown, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Ifowldown

Ifowldown Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    Just attempted my first incubation and had 100% 5 for 5 hatch.

I recently bought a hova-bater with egg turner. I have some hatching eggs of various breeds that should be arriving in the next couple weeks. I decided to try a test run with some eggs from my coop, to make sure the temps and humidity were good before putting in the pricey eggs.

I picked out 5 eggs. I have 2 light brahma roosters and several red and white sex link hens, as well as 3 light brahma hens. I picked one brahma egg and 4 others (not sure if white or red hens) (essentially mutt chickens) .

I put them in the incubator, turned it on, and added water about 3 times. Today was day 21. I noticed last night before bed, all 5 eggs had pipped. I woke up this morning and saw 2 had hatched during the night. One more came out just before the kids had to leave for school, and the other 2 came about an hour later. After reading all the stories on here, I was expecting at least one to have problems. When I set these 5 eggs, I was not planning on hatching them. I was going to candle them about 10 days in and see if it was working, and then stop the incubation, as I am not ready for chicks quite yet, and didn't want different age groups. Luckily a lady at church told me she wanted them all, so I let them keep going. After seeing the kids reaction to the hatching, I am glad I did.

Well, hopefully, when I get my hatching eggs, I have similar results.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    That's great for first hatch!!! It's easier to have all hatch with your own eggs, (no post office involved). I hope you have 100% with your shipped eggs, most of us aren't so lucky with that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by