The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

Lol I set 11 turkey eggs into lockdown yesterday for Thursday hatch and during candle I'm pretty sure I saw an internal pip. Go down to check the hatcher and there it is, a poult staring back at me and another one pipped. 2 days early!

But seriously, we need turkey pics :pop
there's the parents on top, and two poults

They are tougher than we give them credit for, congrats

So how many Dutch do you have?
I only have the one Dutch hen daddy was a bantam Cochin she started setting away from the coop I just found her nest the other day but knew she was brooding somewhere but last night it rained and got extra cold and sometime during the night she abandoned it I found it about 10 am yesterday abandoned and eggs were ice cold I didn't think they had a chance but I still brought them in popped them in with my other eggs I have on lockdown pumped the humidity back up and said a little prayer now I have one out and one piping. I'm so happy!!! I'm eggstatic!!

Last edited:
The hatch a a long allows for setting two days before set day and two days after set day for the eggs to count towards the contests that rely on set numbers. Flexibility is allowed because we do not want your hatch to be hurt by a schedule... or someone to be fired because the skipped work to set eggs at the exact time.
Skip work :eek: If I actually worked for someone I would have been fired long ago! :gig Good thing about self employment, you can't fire yourself :yesss:

I set 16 eggs last night:

7 Silverudd's Blue from 3 different pens
2 Black Ameraucana
4 from my Chocolate Silverudd's Blue project
3 from my Chocolate Copper project

This is Fireball, one of my Chocolate Copper pullets. Photos don't really capture the glow that copper causes on the chocolate feathers. Her egg is the middle one.
big_smile.png

Found a new video I hadn't seen yet. Thinking ..I've heard all of this before, but watched, and...learned a few things!

Hi guys. I don't have time to catch up right now.

Things are crazy here. I would appreciate it if everyone could please read this post I know it's long but the lowest half is what's most important to me. The upper half will give you a laugh.

We set chicken eggs for the Easter hatchalong on Monday at noon.

Yesterday we discovered something had damaged our kitchen cupboard under the sink. And later learned it's a groundhog. It would seem it hibernated in the crawl space under our kitchen floor and became stuck.

Everyone remember those holes last fall under our porch? I believe we know the cause. Well apparently the thing can't find its way out and of course has no access to water. Yesterday it chewed through the water line to our sprayer knozzle on the kitchen sink as well as chewing at the cupboard itself. There is a flap of wood that goes around the pipes that lifts out that is it's entrance point.

We were up until past 4 am last night trying to get the thing out. It's large for a groundhog and although I'm not frightened of it I do respect it and feel for it's plight. We are trying to shoo it out through the kitchen and out the back door. Unfortunately this has not proved easy.

Hopefully tonight we can manage to get it out. It is very fearful but not aggressive although if it felt cornered I'm sure it could be. In fact after it got out of the cupboard(pushed the cupboard door open) last night the wood fell and it wasn't able to get back down the hole for some time.

We weren't able to get the door open and get it out before it got the flap up again.

It was quite the fiasco with me trying to soothe the frightened panicked creature. And eventually it turned and walked right up to me in between the kitchen and the dining room. No fear what so ever and sniffed the tote lid that I held as a barricade before looking up at me. I told it gently it didn't want to go that way and turn around and it did. Lol

Quite the night. Hopefully tonight we will be more successful.

Now my friends please I need your thoughts and prayers for my Grandpa. I was informed today that he was rushed from his Alzheimer's care assisted living via ambulance a couple of days ago. His doctor had changed his meds and taken him off his pills for his mood. From what I understand. It was a short conversation. I will know more later. My Grandpa, who is the kindest most respectful man you'd ever meet, except for his Alzheimer's acted up without his pills. Any change at all is hard for Alzheimer's or dementia patients and he began to act out to the staff. From there they sent him to a hospital with a psych ward.

However upon admission tests were run and he has bacteria in his urine which we knew about but his elderly doctor chose to ignore when he saw him Friday. They also did a CAT scan and discovered he has pneumonia and a sinus infection as well as a urinary tract infection. He was not running a fever.

For those that don't know illness in patients who are elderly or have dementia or Alzheimer's often confuses and worsens their mental state. In the last three weeks he has not been recognizing family at all which has been spotty. He has good days and bad days but lately there all been bad.

We are hoping that treating these illnesses will improve his mental state and lesson his mood swings. If he remains violent or threatening of violence the place will not take him back.

:( Everyone please keep my Grandpa in your thoughts and prayers and keep my family in them as well.

My Grandpa is being monitored and treated with IV antibiotics. He did recognize my Grandma for the first time in three weeks yesterday when he looked at her and said her name.

I will keep you all up to date on Grandpa and on the groundhog when I know more. Thank you guys

Back
Top Bottom