The AMERAUCANA thread

Pics
I see no male saddles, but the comb is suspicious. Likely a male at this point.

If he is indeed a boy:
Barred rock: Cross would be sexlinked. Males will be barred and females wouldn't. He looks like a pure AM to me, so the pullets of the cross would lay blue. This is true for every breed you cross him with. They will have modified pea combs (highly likely).
Silkie: Offspring would be smooth-feathered. Not sure what happens with a frizzle though. Again, all pullets will lay blue.
Australorp: All I know is that the pullets will lay blue and they will have modified pea combs. Not too sure how extended black works.
ISA Brown: Some will come out dominant white with leakage. None will be sexlinked.

For most of the crosses, I would expect lots of different colors to pop up, I just can't pin point them.
You never disappoint, Cherry! :hugs

I’m following! This Junei am hoping to hatch a small batch of Wheaton Ameraucaunas. I am buying them from a guy who has Ameraucauna state fair entries, so I know they are true! Are any other colors able to tell sex at about 4 weeks? (Just in case for some reason he doesn’t have Wheaton next year).

Also, I noticed my Easter Egger looks like she could be part silver Ameraucauna, what do you guys think? She’s about 23 weeks.

Attachments

• 8DD6CC15-CD66-4F55-9921-C43B405968AA.jpeg
    8DD6CC15-CD66-4F55-9921-C43B405968AA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
I see no male saddles, but the comb is suspicious. Likely a male at this point.

If he is indeed a boy:
Barred rock: Cross would be sexlinked. Males will be barred and females wouldn't. He looks like a pure AM to me, so the pullets of the cross would lay blue. This is true for every breed you cross him with. They will have modified pea combs (highly likely).
Silkie: Offspring would be smooth-feathered. Not sure what happens with a frizzle though. Again, all pullets will lay blue.
Australorp: All I know is that the pullets will lay blue and they will have modified pea combs. Not too sure how extended black works.
ISA Brown: Some will come out dominant white with leakage. None will be sexlinked.

For most of the crosses, I would expect lots of different colors to pop up, I just can't pin point them.
So I was told in passing and I didn’t think to ask for more details so who knows buuuut the individual said a blue egg crossed with a brown egg would = olive egg. So the Amer roo (blue egg) with any of my brown egg laying girls would produce an olive egger. The silkies crosses would lay blue since they come from a white egg. 🤔

So I was told in passing and I didn’t think to ask for more details so who knows buuuut the individual said a blue egg crossed with a brown egg would = olive egg. So the Amer roo (blue egg) with any of my brown egg laying girls would produce an olive egger. The silkies crosses would lay blue since they come from a white egg. 🤔
AMs have 2 blue egg genes, if they are pure Ameraucanas. Blue is dominant over brown (which is white underneath) :)

Ooooooooh. Awesome. But wait…how do I end up with an olive egg? Lol
Can happen when the dad carries just one blue egg gene. Basically, blue and white work on the same gene, the one for egg "shells". White is what is underneath brown eggs, which is why the inside of a brown egg is white (once cracked). Blue is dominant over white. To get a white egg, 2 white eggs genes are needed (non-blue). Since blue is dominant, just one blue is needed for a blue egg. Olive and green eggs are basically just brown OVER blue, since blue is the shell color. Brown can coat both blue (creating green/olive) and white (creating brown/cream). I have a few OEs myself. The darker the brown coating is, the more "olive" the egg will be, which is why there are different shades of green. The darker the brown on the white, the darker the egg will be, which is why there are different shades of brown eggs.

They "technically" are not wrong, but each bird has 2 genes that "code" for their egg color. Brown (which is a brown coating over a white shell) can be IN a rooster's genotype along with a blue egg gene, but will be covered by blue (which is dominant). Then, it will not show unless he is test bred. BUT, brown can also coat a blue egg creating green/olive.

The rooster I used to create OEs for example, has one non-blue and one blue egg gene. He doesn't lay eggs, but he was test bred and his daughter is laying olive. Because of this, I KNOW he does NOT have 2 blue egg genes. It wouldn't be genetically possible.

Back
Top Bottom