The DUMBEST thing I've ever heard somebody say about Chickens...READ!

My mom ate some balut on a dare once. She worked with a man who was a Chinese and Filipino mix. They were talking about fermented eggs and he jokingly said he would bring one in for her to eat. She thought he meant a "hundred year egg" (just a salty fermented egg) so she said for him to do it. He bet her she wouldn't and they went back and forth until it was a dare.

What he brought the next day was actually balut! By this time word had gotten around that she was going to eat it and all of the co-workers crowded around to watch her do it. She said she cracked it open and saw the duckling and did NOT want to do it, but couldn't lose face. So she tossed it in her mouth, chewed twice, and swallowed. hahaha

*edited for grammar*

Last edited:
Lol- welcome to my world everyone! Careful which egg you choose at my house- it may have a duck in it! But then again it sounds like some of you may have the same problem
big_smile.png

Since marrying outside my culture I have gained an appreciation for what qualifies as food and how much Americans throw out or dismiss as inedible that other cultures love to eat. Like I said not everyone has a fridge full of food at their disposal. Not everyone can drive down the street to fill a shopping cart. And not everyone is able to get their food in nice neat little plastic wrapped packages. I no longer judge anyone who eats foods that I think are gross because many of our staple foods are gross to others. I personally may not choose to eat it (and I am grateful to even have a choice to be picky) but I don't think badly of the ppl who do choose to eat it. Its what makes life interesting right??

Think of how upset some of you get about these ppl with their "I only eat bleached eggs not the dirty brown kind". Now think how upset other cultures would be to know we are A that uninformed about food and B so snobbish we would dismiss a meal because it came from a brown egg. If your hungry I seriously doubt you would care if a piece of straw was stuck to the egg if it came from a brown shell- you probably wouldn't care if it was cooked and fell on the floor. You'd just be happy to fill your tummy.

Sorry for the buzz kill lecture- its a little soap box of mine
tongue.png
. Eventhough I won't eat balut (thanks for the spelling correction -i guess I could have just txted my DH) I hope my daughter is bold enough to taste it and many other culture specific dishes! I kinda feel like we get robbed with our snobish American mind set-so many things are absolutely disgusting to us - but I can't help but think some must be good otherwise ppl wouldn't continue to eat them especially after they move here and have to find special stores to buy these things. and they are obviously edible because ppl continue to eat them and don't die. IMHO anyways!

Quote:
And did she like it?? My husband also eats the fermented egg and I think a salted egg - or maybe that's one in the same. I have a very.adventurous friend who shared a balut with my huz- she did not ask for seconds lol!

Quote:
And did she like it?? My husband also eats the fermented egg and I think a salted egg - or maybe that's one in the same. I have a very.adventurous friend who shared a balut with my huz- she did not ask for seconds lol!

She tried not to taste it. She said it was crunchy and she swallowed as quick as she could and will never eat it again. hehe
lol.png
Personally I think it was karmic retribution for the time she tricked me into eating jellyfish.

LOL well then she got what was coming to her!

Its definitely crunchy but there is also a soup that he has to slurp up before he can eat it. Apparently its best eaten with salt or vinegar.

Ok i haven't yet read all 20 pages of these but I think i have one to add.
I raise Dominiques for meat and eggs. Recently a coworker mentioned driving by my house the other evening and telling her son (who is a lawyer) that those were my chickens i raised for meat. His answer was "People raise chickens for meat? I thought they only raised them for eggs." To me it is sad that a grown man who obviously has a modicum of intelligence knows so little about nature. I wonder if he has any idea of where grocery store chicken comes from.

Quote:
I've dropped food on the floor, picked it up, gave it a quick run under the water faucet, and put it back in the skillet or on my plate. I don't waste a lot of food, anyway. Whatever I have that I can't eat, goes to the dogs, cats, chickens, geese, guineas, etc. There isn't much left after that. Recycling at it's finest!

(BTW, I wash my steel cans and take them to the recycling center, too. And sell the aluminum. Anyway, I won't get going too bad about recycling.
lol.png
)

I am willing to eat about anything, except for parrot and probably balut. I disagree with boiling a live embryo, i do not disagree with boiling crab or lobster alive though, birds are special in my opinion, and crustaceans probably aren't even meant to be eaten, but i do like crab legs.

Last edited:
Quote:
I've dropped food on the floor, picked it up, gave it a quick run under the water faucet, and put it back in the skillet or on my plate. I don't waste a lot of food, anyway. Whatever I have that I can't eat, goes to the dogs, cats, chickens, geese, guineas, etc. There isn't much left after that. Recycling at it's finest!

(BTW, I wash my steel cans and take them to the recycling center, too. And sell the aluminum. Anyway, I won't get going too bad about recycling.
lol.png
)

yuckyuck.gif
lol

we sold 30 chicks and 2 ducklings to a man who just moved his small young family to the country and he wanted his 2 small kids to have a different life than he and his wife had, complete with chickens and ducks, because the land they bought has a pond, so ducks were a necessity.
well, he asked me some strange questions. i wanted to laugh, but i knew it wasnt his fault, so i gave him some good information.
he asked.....so the hens are considered the females right?
now, the roosters are considered male, do they still lay eggs?
they are 4 weeks old, will they lay eggs yet?
do the ducks need a place to live, or will they sleep in the pond?
poor guy, like i said, its not his fault, i just didnt know there were people who had no idea if roosters layed eggs!

Back
Top Bottom