The EE braggers thread!!!

Seems like it's been rather quiet here lately! I got out and took some pictures of the flock the other day, and thought I'd share the ones of my Easter-egger girls here.
smile.png
They all turned out to be beard shots, but oh, well.
lol.png

Merlin:

Betty Beard:

Wynne:

And these two are Cressy and Maggie, the grumps.
lol.png
I think they're trying to hide in their beards until winter's over.

love them!

My new babies. The last four EEs from TSC (labeled as aracaunas) and two BOs because they had a six chick minimum.

Your TSC had sexed chicks? What breeds? (Well, obviously the EE's and orpingtons) Last year, other than the Cornish crosses, everything I saw was sexed.
I was there today and they had just gotten in their first shipment. The only sexed bin was one marked assorted "pullets" which had a variety of breeds so you couldn't tell what you were getting. The Cornish X's, freedom rangers, RIR's, ISA browns, production reds and bantams were all being sold straight run.

Soooo I went into a local lumber store and bought what were labeled "Ameracauna pullets." I don't know if they are indeed Ameracauna chicks or Easter Eggers. And it is a crying shame that I left my cell phone at the lumber store because I was so fascinated with the chicks that I plum left my phone sitting right by the brooders. I have to get my phone tomorrow. When I get a pic I will let you all decide for me what they are.

Aren't Ameracauna's actually one certain colors?? These little peeps are pretty and all shades of beautiful so I am worried I picked out cockerels and not pullets even though the sign said pullets.

Soooo I went into a local lumber store and bought what were labeled "Ameracauna pullets." I don't know if they are indeed Ameracauna chicks or Easter Eggers. And it is a crying shame that I left my cell phone at the lumber store because I was so fascinated with the chicks that I plum left my phone sitting right by the brooders. I have to get my phone tomorrow. When I get a pic I will let you all decide for me what they are.

Aren't Ameracauna's actually one certain colors?? These little peeps are pretty and all shades of beautiful so I am worried I picked out cockerels and not pullets even though the sign said pullets.
I believe you are thinking of Auracanas. They are a specific breed with specific colors.

Americanas come in all colors and lay blue tinted eggs. I have 25 out there right now and there are a few different color patterns occurring. Some have lots of yellow and some are mainly chocolate brown.

Try not to buy more chicks when you pick up your phone....sounds like setting yourself subconsciously for more shopping!
wink.png

You know I am the crazy chicken lady when I leave my phone there. Thankfully, my husband went back this morning to get my phone because it is a bit of a drive but on his way to work. Ugh, I told my hubby I am not going back in there again because I felt so bad for these RIR grown hens for sale in little cages and they laid their eggs in that hard metal cage. Then they gave me this lovey look like, "I know your hens have it good at your house - take me with youuuu." Nope, not going back in there. lol

Here are some pics. I posted them to the Ameraucana (I realized today that I was spelling it wrong)
thread too to see if I get a response. I have an OE and EE I also want to post to see what ya'll think about gender.

Here is one of the new babies. Sorry for the bad pics, had to use my laptop (no phone.)

This is the supposed "Ameraucana"/could be EE if they labeled it wrong. SO STINKIN' cute and I came home with four of them - we will need an intervention soon.

EE

I believe you are thinking of Auracanas. They are a specific breed with specific colors.

Americanas come in all colors and lay blue tinted eggs. I have 25 out there right now and there are a few different color patterns occurring. Some have lots of yellow and some are mainly chocolate brown.

Try not to buy more chicks when you pick up your phone....sounds like setting yourself subconsciously for more shopping!
wink.png

Close - but not quite right. Yes, Araucana are a breed, but so are Ameraucanas. Americana is an oft used misspelled version of the name of the true breed applied to Easter Eggers (mixed breed birds with some blue egg parentage that may lay colored eggs). True Ameraucanas are recognized in a limited range of colors and have very specific breed characteristics to be met to be deemed the real deal. Those sold in feed stores and all but one or two hatcheries are Easter Eggers, no matter the label - and the hatcheries use all sorts of phrases like you have "come in all colors" in their descriptions of their "Ameraucanas" as a way to wink and nod acknowledge that they are not, in fact, selling pure bred Ameraucanas.

Close - but not quite right. Yes, Araucana are a breed, but so are Ameraucanas. Americana is an oft used misspelled version of the name of the true breed applied to Easter Eggers (mixed breed birds with some blue egg parentage that may lay colored eggs). True Ameraucanas are recognized in a limited range of colors and have very specific breed characteristics to be met to be deemed the real deal. Those sold in feed stores and all but one or two hatcheries are Easter Eggers, no matter the label - and the hatcheries use all sorts of phrases like you have "come in all colors" in their descriptions of their "Ameraucanas" as a way to wink and nod acknowledge that they are not, in fact, selling pure bred Ameraucanas.

That is what I am thinking - that my baby ladies are probably EE's. I am going to confuse you all because I am going to post pics of my OE and EE in a minute not to be confused with the feed store "Ameraucans, " that are actually most likely EE's - see pic above of one of those babies.

Candy is my OE. If Candy is a he then she will be renamed "The Candyman," from a horror movie. Bless her heart. She is a cross between an Ameraucana hen and a Maran roo, but I realize that her mom was really probably EE and not Ameraucana. Candy has a peacomb but it is three rows as you can see in this pic...roo?

Candy has hairy legs that are a very pretty greenish gray color that is not captured by the camera today.

Candy has a brooder mate that is a week and a half younger. The brooder mate is my EE and her name is Black Bear. Black Bear is probably a roo - she is such a pill sometimes, fusses when I pick her up and gives me a good griping to. I really want Black Bear to be a hen. Black Bear is a cross between a blue orpington roo and a isbar so a part of me is hoping that because her parents both have straight combs that this is why she has a straight comb. I really wanted to see what kind of eggs she would throw.

Black Bear again

Back
Top Bottom