The Five Chickens(Finished! Pictures-ending!!)

77horses

◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Maine
I saw a thread that someone made(in another forum) that was like a chicken journal. It inspired me to do something similar, but more like a book, not a journal.
big_smile.png
(I don't want to steal ideas, so I am gonna make a story instead. It sounded so fun!)
So the story I am going to write is a true one. It's about my hen, Apricot. I cannot tell you whether she is still alive today or not, because that would ruin the story!
roll.png
So, keep in mind that all of these events that happen in the story really did happen in real life. Enjoy! I will write the beginning soon.
smile.png

Sorry, I had to keep editing to change the title.
roll.png

Last edited:
The Five Chickens
By 77horses
*A true story*

This story is about three chickens and their owners. It's true, and it all happened, not too long ago...
pop.gif

The eggs sat still under the mother hen's feathered stomach. It was early in the morning, and all was quiet. Suddenly, the coop door slowly creaked open, and a man, known as the farmer to the chickens, stepped in. He slowly closed the door behind him, and walked over to the broody hen, who had 12 little eggs under her. It had been 23 days since she had started sitting on them after they were laid, and there was still no movement the last time the farmer had checked them, which was last night. He was hoping that at least some would pip soon, but they never did. Not until now.
The farmer put his gloves on to protect himself from the mother hen defending her eggs and pecking him. He then gently reached under her and retrieved a small brown egg. He pulled the LED flashlight candler from his pocket, and put the egg in front of it, so the light would shine through it. Nothing. He sighed sadly and placed the egg back under the mother hen, who rolled it snuggly with her beak under he fluffy and warm feathers. The farmer reached in and retrieved another egg. But before he could candle it, he swore he heard something...like a peeping sound. He looked around, puzzled, then shrugged and began candling the egg. Then he heard it again! Then, he examined the egg, and there on the top, near the air pocket, was a small yet visible pip. His heart leaped with joy and he gently put the egg back, which was now rocking and the chick inside of it was peeping away. The farmer felt so happy that he thought he could do a back flip! He ran into the house to tell his wife about the pipped egg.
The day went by, and one by one, the eggs began hatching. Every time the farmer came out to the coop and checked on the eggs, he would find a newly hatched chick or an egg that had progressed even more with its pip. Finally, around supper time, the farmer counted up all the eggs. 10 had hatched. But sadly, two eggs didn't hatch. They were showing no signs movement or life. The farmer removed these ones and brought them inside.
When he sat down at the kitchen table, he had a paper plate and a small knife. He decided to see if anything at all was still living in the eggs. So, with his steady hands, he poked a small hole in the shell, where the air pocket was. He looked into it, trying to see passed the membrane for any movement. Nothing. So, he progressed from a small chip in the shell to a larger one, until finally, a full grown chick slid out, dead. He was disappointed. He threw the egg shell and dead baby chick out, and tried the next one. Another fully formed yet dead chick was in it, and he threw that one out too.
"Oh well," he sighed. "At least the others are hatched out." The farmer had lots of experience with having broody hens around, and he had experienced the loss of a lot of formed chicks that had given up, so this wasn't unusual. But out of every hatch, he had always gotten at least some chicks.
The sun was almost behind the trees completely as he closed up the coop doors. He turned on the light for the chickens, especially for the mother hen and the new chicks. Then, he said good night to them all, and once he locked up the doors, he headed back to the house, which wasn't too far from the small barn that contained the coop.

That's all for now! I will write some more later on. I hope you enjoyed this first part.
smile.png

Last edited:
OK next part(part 2)

The next day, the farmer rushed out to the chicken coop in the barn. He was glad to see that all of the chicks were alive and well, and they were wondering around with their mother on the littered floor. The mother hen seemed proud and she stayed with her new babies all the time. The chicks peeped loudly and scratched around in the hay, imitating mother hen. The farmer scooped out a bucket of corn and spread it around on the floor. The chicks were still too young to eat it, but they liked pecking at the little pieces. The other chickens came running for their breakfast and they all ate the corn. The babies thought it was quite unfair for all the adults to have breakfast and for them not to. But before they could start driving mother hen crazy with peeps of hunger, the farmer returned with a small bucket of something. The chicks all watched as the farmer walked over to them.
"What's that?" Cheeped a little red star girl chick.
"It looks like something big. Maybe it's that funny hard stuff again that he brought in here." A small rhode island red boy peeped. Then, they watched as the farmer dumped a powdery-looking material into a dish. The scent of the chick starter feed quickly reached the chicks, and once they realized that it was food, they all went running over to the dish, fighting to get up front.
"Hey! I was here first!" One chick cried. They all squeezed in until everyone was happy, and then they stuffed themselves with the delicious feed.
14678_hen_and_chicks.jpg

Once they were done, the chicks wondered off together to a little spot in the corner, where a tuft of hay was all spread out. The chicks all wobbled over to it and snuggled up to take a nap. The mother hen followed, and she laid down with them to guard them.
The day went quickly, and the chicks were all tired out by the end of the day. They had stayed in the safety of the barn, and they had played games of tag, hide and seek, and others. The mother hen stayed with them most of the time, but once and a while she felt safe to leave them for a bit, so she could go and forage for bugs and food with the rest of the flock. Now, all the chicks were cuddled up under their mother's wing, and all there was to hear was the sound of the crickets outside and the owls hooting in the distance. Tomorrow the chicks would have another full day to explore, and they slept all through the night to get more energy for playing and exploring.

More to come later! Hope you enjoyed part 2.
wink.png

yay! I'm glad everyone is liking it so far.
tongue.png
sorry for being kinda impatient, as usual.
roll.png

anyways, here's the next part(part 3)

The next day was different for the chicks. They saw the farmer put a sign up early in the morning. It read, "FOR SALE: BABY CHICKENS. $1 EACH" The chicks didn't know what this meant, but the mother hen did, and she felt very sad about losing her chicks, even though it has happened many times before, when the farmer sold chicks in the Spring. But every time he did, she would have to say good bye to each of her chicks.
Soon, that day visitors began showing up. One by one, some chicks were taken away. Then there were only 7 chicks left. Then, one day a group of people came and bought 5 little chicks; 2 Red Star girls, 2 Rhode Island Red boys, and 1 Black New Jersey Giant boy. The man who bought them placed them in a cardboard box, and drove away.
"Where are we?" Asked the New Jersey Giant chick. He was the smallest one and he was huddled in the corner with the rest, looking up at the top of the box, where the lid was cracked open. They could hear excited voices outside of the small and dark box.
"I don't know. Where's our mommy?" Cheeped the fluffy Red Star chick. She looked worried. But the two Rhode Island Red boys were curious and full of excitement.
"I don't know, but how about we go and explore this place?" One of them cheeped cheerfully, breaking from the group.
"No, lets try to clime out of here and find the coop where mommy is." Said his brother bravely.
"But it's much too dangerous! Who knows what's out there." Said the New Jersey Giant chick. He gulped loudly and looked up at the half open lid above them.
"Oh, don't be such a baby-" Began the Rhode Island Red chick, but he suddenly stopped when the box shook violently, and then the lid opened and an anxious small hand reached inside.
"Be careful! You're gonna scare them!" Said a voice from outside the box. The chicks all ran to one corner as the hand reached for them
"Aaahhh! It's gonna eat us!" Screamed the Red Star chick. She ran frantically from the hand.
"Mommy!" Cheeped the Jersey Giant chick. He leaped just in time and the hand missed it's target. Then, before she could get away, the hand grabbed one of the Red Star chicks.
"No! Put me down! She peeped loudly for her friends. Then she was liften up and out of the box. The others stared up, shivering.
"She's gone! It's gonna eat her, and we're next! What are we gonna do?" The Rhode Island Red chick panicked.
"Oh, now look who's a baby." Argued the other Red Star girl.
"Well, what do you expect!? That thing just ate your sister!" The other RIR boy yelled back, to defend his brother.
"You guys are the ones who caused the whole thing!" The red star chick yelled angrily. "If you hadn't made mommy mad by trying to sneak out and go on one of your "adventures", we wouldn't be in this mess! She's probably mad at us for being bad chickies."
"No! It's your fault-"
"QUIET!!!" The jersey giant cheeped loudly. "Did you hear something?" Then, the hand suddenly appeared and reached into the box, and they all screamed and scattered everywhere.
"Run!" Yelled the red star girl. But she had spoken too soon. The hand picked her up, and she too went up and out of the box. Then, it grabbed the jersey giant chick, too.
"Well, this is it. It was nice knowing you!" One of the RIR brothers cheeped sadly to his brother.
"We are gonna be eaten! ahhh! I'm too young to die!" The other one cried.
"Get yourself together! If we are gonna be eaten, we will be eaten...with dignity!" The other shouted, sticking his chest out proudly. Then, the hand returned. It reached out and grabbed one of the boys, and up he went, out of sight. Then it quickly returned and grabbed the last chick. He closed his eyes tightly, waiting for something to happen. But nothing did. He opened his eyes, and to his surprise, his friends were sitting next to him.
"Hey! There you are!" Said the jersey giant chick. He seemed unharmed and happy.
"Are we in that chicken coop in the sky that mommy told us about?" The RIR chick asked, looking around. Then he looked up, and there in front of him was a human! He peeped and looked around.
"Wow," he giggled. "The farmer sure did change!"
"No, dumby! That's not the farmer! That's another farmer." One of the red star chicks said.

Oops! Time for supper! Be back later to write more!
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom