The Fryer Tuck?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Albanydog, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Albanydog

Albanydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2009
    Central Oregon Coast
    Wasn't sure what category to post this under, the chick is healthy and happy.
    The chick is 3 or 4 weeks old at least, would have to go back and look through my records. Being raised by the Bantam Cochin hen that hatched it, though we don't know who laid the egg. Clearly, for us anyway, it is a Polish Top Hat cross, but this little one hasn't grown any feathers on its tiny bald head.....Anyone seen this before?

It's head is soft and smooth, feels like skin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  2. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    wierd looking. Is there any possability of a silky mix in there? I hear sometimes silkies brains grow on the outside of their skull (or maybe they jsut lack the top part of the skull making head/brain injuries easy to come by).

3. Albanydog

Nov 22, 2009
    Central Oregon Coast
    Quote:We have a silkie cross rooster that could have fathered this one, and the other one my mother says is running around out there, but we have never had such a thing before. Also, the top hats are born with the big funky heads, they just don't usually go bald as they feather out. Wouldn't want to breed any more of these on purpose. May have to glue a hat to its little head to stay off sunburn LOL

4. Albanydog

Nov 22, 2009
    Central Oregon Coast
    UPDATE: We did hatch out a couple more of these little bald Fryer Tuck chicks but they have all grow beautiful, normal looking crests!!
    [​IMG]

5. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I would say it is getting plucked by its nest mates or the mother herself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by