The Great Debate: Free-Range vs. Coop-Raised Chickens

I totally free range. Have several good roosters and two Australian shepherds. Ten acres with pasture and woods. live By state forest. Lots of predators. A panther got a lavender Orpington. Never came back after the dogs ran him off. i have gone to more flighty birds. Isbar crosses. The big meat birds I consider problematic. If a chicken makes a peep the dogs are there. Also good if you can’t get home till late to close coop. I let the babies out too. Only had one young mother decid she’d rather be with the rooster than her nine kids! So far so good. Only problem-the poor dogs can’t go anywhere during working hours!

I did both and will do again. My coop opened to three sides. One side was a large run, Another was out to the yard. The last was to the sheep/goat area. When I was there to watch over them I would let the out to the yard. When I was gone and not at home they would go into the run. When I was there but not fully paying attention they went to the shea/goat side. The goats loved playing with them and herd to gether with them if there were birds overhead.

The run was the default Auto door side.

I free-range 24-7 in an environment that is likely more predator dense than most keepers here. I strongly reject the proposition that successful free ranging depends on having low predator numbers. “I can’t free range because I have too many predators” is almost always the factually incorrect answer. A more proper answer is “I can’t free range because I raise chicken breeds not suitable for it, and I do not do my part to persecute predators so that when they enter my farm, they’re skittish and afraid to linger long.”

Natural selection used to be the dominant force in determining which chickens survived to create the next generation. Human selection was secondary. In the last 100 years, human selection has become entirely the driving force behind shaping chickens. In that sense, I decry the modern trend towards coop keeping.

Although I don’t actually care how a person raises their chickens. I more lament the loss of knowledge that chickens more normally lived free range throughout their domesticated history. I fault no one for keeping their chickens in a Fort Knox coop. What is a pet peeve of mine is when coop keepers declare their way is the only way to raise chickens and that chickens are incapable of living otherwise.

I often use domestic dogs to analogize the actual abilities of domestic chickens. We all understand that some dog breeds are meant to be soft house pets and others are built for harsh working conditions more akin to how wild wolves live. Chickens are the same. Its just that the wolf-like chickens have been forgotten over the last 50 or so years and that most common chicken breeds today are all the equivalent of lap dogs.

Along those lines, there is a common misconception that domestic chickens have been slowly evolved towards weakness over thousands of years. In reality, the morphing of rugged free-range breeds into soft coop breeds has happened twice, and both times it only took a couple of centuries of selective breeding. The Greeks and Romans made the first coop breeds from gamefowl (fighting chickens). When Rome fell, there was no more global economy to cheaply feed coop birds. The coop doors flung open and only gamefowl and those coop birds that could revert to a wild state survived. Through the Middle Ages, chickens lived free range around human settlements. Only since the modern era have we been remorphing them back into coop breeds, and our modern coop breeds haven’t passed the test of time.

Last edited:
Hey fellow chicken enthusiasts!

I've been pondering a question that has sparked quite a debate among backyard chicken keepers: Is it better to raise chickens in a free-range environment or in a coop?

On one hand, free-ranging chickens have the freedom to roam and forage, leading to a more natural lifestyle. They get to experience the joy of scratching the ground for insects, basking in the sunlight, and exploring their surroundings. It's argued that this promotes better physical and mental health, resulting in healthier and happier chickens.

On the other hand, coop-raised chickens are kept within the safety of a confined space, providing protection from predators and other potential dangers. They have a consistent food supply, clean shelter, and regulated access to fresh water. Coops also make it easier to monitor the chickens' health and ensure they receive proper nutrition.

So, which approach do you prefer and why? Are you an advocate for the freedom and autonomy of free-ranging chickens, or do you believe in the controlled environment of coop-raised chickens? Share your experiences, opinions, and insights! Let's have a lively discussion and learn from each other.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this matter. Don't hesitate to leave your comments below and join the conversation. Together, let's delve into the world of backyard chickens and shed light on this ongoing debate!
I raised my chickens with a healthy hybrid situation: I had a run build which was really large around my coop so they had lots of room to forage around. I would put trays of grass in it for them after they ate up all the original grass. It also had access to a fenced in garden area where they liked roam and dust bathe. I also took them out for 'walks' around my yard. I would go around raking up pine straw around my trees and they would happily follow me around and eat up the bugs and occasional baby snakes which were uncovered by the rake. I never left them out in the yard unattended. I never lost any chickens to predators.

I've been pondering a question that has sparked quite a debate among backyard chicken keepers: Is it better to raise chickens in a free-range environment or in a coop?

On one hand, free-ranging chickens have the freedom to roam and forage, leading to a more natural lifestyle. They get to experience the joy of scratching the ground for insects, basking in the sunlight, and exploring their surroundings. It's argued that this promotes better physical and mental health, resulting in healthier and happier chickens.

On the other hand, coop-raised chickens are kept within the safety of a confined space, providing protection from predators and other potential dangers. They have a consistent food supply, clean shelter, and regulated access to fresh water. Coops also make it easier to monitor the chickens' health and ensure they receive proper nutrition.

So, which approach do you prefer and why? Are you an advocate for the freedom and autonomy of free-ranging chickens, or do you believe in the controlled environment of coop-raised chickens? Share your experiences, opinions, and insights! Let's have a lively discussion and learn from each other.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this matter. Don't hesitate to leave your comments below and join the conversation. Together, let's delve into the world of backyard chickens and shed light on this ongoing debate!
I believe whether you free range or coop depends a LOT on your purpose for having chickens. If all you are interested in is eggs, then a coop is fine. However, I free range my chickens and here are the reasons why....
First, I live near Lake of the Ozarks in the wooded hills of Missouri. That means ticks ae beyond plentiful. When we first moved here 8 years ago my grand-daughter was out in the yard and it looked like she had on brown socks - but it was really just a massive amount of those little blood sucking creatures looking for a free meal. I used to go blackberry picking and come in with 50-60 ticks! However, chickens love to eat ticks but they can only do so if allowed to go where the ticks are. So we free-range our chickens and they eat the ticks and convert that protein into eggs so instead of the ticks feasting on us, we feast on them! I now go blackberry picking and come in with only one or two ticks.
Second, I built my chicken coop out of four old pallets (plans are somewhere here on Backyard Chickens) and it is sufficient for them to come to in the evening to roost, and provides nesting boxes as well. But If I needed a coop big enough to keep the chickens in all the time it would have to be a lot larger and cost a lot more.
Third, and somewhat related to #1, is the feed. Chickens in a coop need to be fed, and feed is not nearly as cheap as it used to be. But my free range chickens do not get fed from April til October. Between the ticks, other bugs, plants and seeds, and of course the grit from these rocky hills, I do not need to provide them with anything but water - and even that is captured rain water off the shed unless it is particularly dry - all summer long. I do feed them in the winter, but that is only about 6 months of the year. If I fed them all the time, the cost of feed would seriously offset the savings from the free eggs.
Fourth is disease/filth. Chickens poop a LOT. If they are in a coop all the time the coop will need to be cleaned often and even if in a pen attached to a coop they will will peck it bare and their dropping will continually build up in the soil.... But when free ranged, they leave their droppings all over and do not overwhelm any one area with "green" manure so that is actually has time to break down and do some good for the soil rather than overwhelming it with so much nitrogen all at once. The chickens are not living in a pen and strutting around on bare ground infused with so much high nitrogen, but instead are roaming across a much cleaner and healthier landscape, and thus get sick a lot less often (virtually never). In fact I think I've only lost one hen to illness in 8 years.
So, that's my opinion....for what its worth. :)

Last edited:

My chicks have half a yard. I keep them fenced because I’d like grass in my back yard, 4 hens have not one blade of grass in their side

We own 40 acres in the woods. Purchased eight chicks during the spring of 2022. They began free ranging when pullets from a little after daylight to a little before dark. No fences (except the garden, thank goodness). Rarely are they kept in the run all day. One 'vanished' about a month ago. Another was run over. They eat with deer, turkey, and bear! We also have raccoons (found one SLEEPING in one of their nesting boxes one am), other varmints and birds of prey.
If I could understand their various sounds I think they are saying they are very happy.

We own 40 acres in the woods. Purchased eight chicks during the spring of 2022. They began free ranging when pullets from a little after daylight to a little before dark. No fences (except the garden, thank goodness). Rarely are they kept in the run all day. One 'vanished' about a month ago. Another was run over. They eat with deer, turkey, and bear! We also have raccoons (found one SLEEPING in one of their nesting boxes one am), other varmints and birds of prey.
If I could understand their various sounds I think they are saying they are very happy.
We also have ticks and I am proud to state that their run/coop doesn't smell (too much anyway). We get 5-6 eggs/day. :)

Most of the time we free range during the day (no fences), with cooping at night. We do provide commercial food at all times as I'm not sure if my "soft egg breeds" would find enough fourage here in any season. We are on a break from unsupervised free range in one flock after 6 birds were taken by a fox including 2 for my daughters breeding project. 1 was taken right in front of her and the dog. We will return to all day free ranging once the correct eggs are collected.

I have 100 acres to free range my 5 salmon faverolle hens and 10 Guinea fowl and one coop with an automatic door that opens in the morning and closes at dark. Guinea fowl range very far as well but my chickens stay close. I have three dogs. One dog (central Asian village dog from Afghanistan) protects the flock during the day. She is especially mindful of the hawks and vultures and eagles. At night I have my muscle…one Anatolian Shepherd and one Anatolian Shepherd mix and all creatures who try to come on our homesite at night will either run away or perish. With those three dogs I have not lost one bird to predators.

Back
Top Bottom