The Great Debate: Free-Range vs. Coop-Raised Chickens

4 Of my groups (5 currently because one was split for certain reasons) free range during the day. One of those is technically free to free range 24/7/365. And I mean, there is nothing surrounding the whole property to prevent them from leaving. They choose to stay on the property for the most part.

The rest of my pens are contained permanently

I did both and will do again. My coop opened to three sides. One side was a large run, Another was out to the yard. The last was to the sheep/goat area. When I was there to watch over them I would let the out to the yard. When I was gone and not at home they would go into the run. When I was there but not fully paying attention they went to the shea/goat side. The goats loved playing with them and herd to gether with them if there were birds overhead.

The run was the default Auto door side.

Is this not essentially the same post you've posted already??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230519_041522_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230519_041522_Chrome.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 5
...So, which approach is truly better for our chickens? Let's hear your thoughts! Do you believe in the freedom of free-range or the security of a coop? Share your experiences, opinions, and tips in the comments below. Let's engage in a friendly and informative discussion that helps us make informed choices for our beloved chickens.
What is truly best for our chickens is to have a mixed age, mixed sex flock large enough to self divide into several tribes. All with free assess to the farmyard of a working diversified farm next to a forest with a well trained pair or trio of livestock guard dogs to provide predator protection.

This providing the habitats of the following: forest, edge, meadow, hedgerow (the farm having wide hedgerows instead of simply fences), orchards, grain fields, gardens, barns and pastures.... including for dairy animals for the milk and milk products, meat, spilled feed, increased varieties of insects, May as well have a nice pond or small lake too, and a stream.

In a nicely fertile area, of course, with mild enough winters for them to forage all year or big enough barns for them to forage extensively inside. Hey, this is ideal so may as well have both. May as well put it near the ocean for a ready source of fresh seafood too.

What I can reasonably provide without going bankrupt or losing them or losing my husband is a 10x14 shed with abundant ventilation, a roost area, a nesting area (approximating being under a bush with nesting materials to arrange into a bowl shape), and places to: dust bath, sun bath, scratch, get out of sight of flock mates, and get out of the weather. Also, abundant clean water, calcium, grit, and feed including regular options of fresh food of various kinds. For 4 hens.

It is not best for the chickens but it is much, much, much better than most chickens get. Even many backyard chickens.

I have a 5 acre property in the country.

Flock 1: Ducks - I had an electric poultry net fence. The battery died while I was at work. Fox had a gourmet meal.

Flock 2: Chickens (smarter than ducks, supposedly) After the 2nd year with them and no further predator attacks, I free ranged this flock. There is nothing more beautiful and soothing, in my opinion, than content hens clucking and scratching along the shrubbery. Then I cam home from work one day to a massacre. 14 dead hens, feather and bodies scattered from one end of my property to the other. 3 missing hens I never did find. 4 survivors who took shelter in my garage.

Flock 3: That was the end of unsupervised free range. I built a 2nd and larger run onto my chicken coop - about 50x100, I surrounded it with 6 foot chain link fence my brother had salvaged from a job. I set my alarm on my phone to go off 30 minutes before sunset so I could make sure they were shut in. I got some new chicks. Things seemed to be fine for about a year or so. Then I noticed missing eggs. Then I came out one evening to find a racoon in the coop. Then I came home to a puff of feathers (raptor of some sort). Then another puff of feathers. Then a half eaten carcass (coon) . So I bought bird netting. It worked for a bit, but those coons are like water. They will find a way. By the end of that next year, I was down to 3 hens again.

Flock 4: I tore down the 50x100 foot run and confined them back to the original run (12x12). I got a few more chicks. I took that chain link fence, and I put it ON TOP of my run. I put down a chain link dig skirt. I sealed up any point of entrance I could find. I went through 10 bags of zip ties, sealing up any gaps where the chain link overlapped. I fine tooth combed that run. It worked for about 3 years. I could finally relax and not go into hyper attack mode any time I heard a chicken squawk. (yes, chicken keeping with predators is a constant state of fight or flight for the chicken keeper :( ) Then the eggs started disappearing again. I thought I had an egg eating hen, so I put out more oyster shell. The hens were acting skittish. I put out a game camera...nothing. Then I came out one evening to find a coon in the coop again. NO CLUE how it got in to this day. I moved the game camera. no luck. Then I came home to a coon in my coop eating a broody hen while she was on her nest. That was it. I rehomed my last hens, and took a break for about 5 years.

Flock 5: Present Day - I said if I did this again, I was starting from scratch and building fort knox. I have built it. My hens will not wander. I don't want them to even view the door as something they want go through. They have 10 X 20 feet in the run, and I've added several outside perches to increase usable space for them. Plus they have the coop. Also, we have waterfowl in the area, and I'd rather not take chances with HPAI.
Bless your heart, horrible story. So sorry, definitely don’t blame you for building fort knox. We free ranged when we were home but that wasn’t enough to stop predators. I lost one to a hawk, after that if I let mine out, I watch them like a hawk, despite my rooster doing the same (he is still young but getting there). We just built a massive permanent run for our chooks because I felt bad keeping them confined. They seem much happier in the new run and my husband really went over the top to make sure its secure. All chooks sleep in the coop at night and their pop door locks too. Hope you have better luck. Many of us see our chooks as pets, its hard to lose them. For purposes of this post I do both. I love letting them out but when I can’t watch them they are in their GIANT run lol.

Over discussed topic. Have the space? Then you can possibly free range. If so, you’ll likely lose birds to predators at some point.

Natural: ummm…we all live in houses, wear clothes and conveniently buy products to eat or use. That’s not *natural* but necessary. Chickens are prey animals, that is natural. Everything loves chicken, that is natural, but it sure is inconvenient to lose your egg laying flock.

Mental health: give me a break. Chickens are prey animals. Everything (in their mind) can and will kill them. A plastic bag? Yup-killer. Long boot laces? Absolutely a killer. Flip flops? Run away as far as possible…. Can a prey animal ever really be in a positive state of mind/great mental health? Everything can kill them is what their instincts tell them. Sure, we can give them a comfortable life…but I’m not worried about their “mental health”, I’m more concerned about making sure they don’t get ripped apart while alive by an actual predator, and that they have fresh water.

Seeing chickens roaming around is a very pastoral scene. But, not everyone can make that a reality, and neither choice is wrong.

Mental health: give me a break. Chickens are prey animals
I don't know where this idea came from. Many years ago when we stumbled out of our caves we were the prey of many other creatures and huddled in groups to protect ourselves in case something fancied an easy snack. We (humans) are woefully badly equiped in our natural state to defend ourselves. How we elevated ourselves to the predator classes is beyond me given a local Tom cat could win a fight with a naked unarmed human.:lol:
Humans are, or were at some point hunter gatherers. We ran around in groups picking stuff from the ground and the trees and if we were really lucky, maybe some meat from a predator kill we managed to drive off due to weight of numbers and throwing rock at the killer.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom