the Halloween/birthday party is over *pic heavy

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Pelican49, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Pelican49

Pelican49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    It was fun, but tiring and I'm glad it's over. My Grandson's b'day is November 3rd, but the weekend before is Halloween and everyone has things to do. So this year, for his 5th birthday we decided to just let him invite his pre-K class and make it Halloween themed. Since we're kinda far out I didn't expect to have more than a few show up. Did I get fooled! 13 kids and each had an adult with them. One kid had 3, both parents and a Grandma. I think that's excessive, but I did put on the invitation that we'd be serving lunch. LOL.

Since my little house in the sticks is less than 1,000 square feet (traded from a big house with a yard to a little house with acreage. Good decision), we'd planned on having most things outside. It was in the upper 60s, but it rained and blew all day, in staying with the Halloween theme I guess. So we had to scrap the scavenger hunt. One little girl spent most of the party standing by the brooder staring at the chicks. She was very good and didn't touch, just looked.

Anyway... the kids seemed to have a very good time and I thought I'd include some pictures of what we did.

The birthday boy playing "pin the tail on the cat". His ghost costume was in his way, so he took it off.
    [​IMG]

The menu;
    Mummy dogs
    [​IMG]

pumpkin sandwiches (baloney & cheese)
    [​IMG]

ghost sandwiches (egg salad)
    [​IMG]

don't know if you can see it, but there's an ice hand in the punch, which gots ewwws from the girls and coooools from the boys
    [​IMG]

instead of a cake we had monster cupcakes (very time consuming to make I might add). This is them on their display
    [​IMG]

And these are closeups of the cupcakes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There was also a cold pasta salad made with colored wacky mac, chips and a relish tray.

This coming Wednesday night is trunk 'N treat at my daughter's church, Friday we're going to Hallowzooeen and then Halloween night, Trick or treating. Busy week.

2. BloominOrchid

BloominOrchid Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    Awesome job!
    I did Dracula cupcakes one year...red hots for eyes!
    Kids were freaking out!

3. crazy goose lover

crazy goose lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Athens Illinois
    very cool i bet everyone loved it. Better plan on a good turn out next year too! Very creative.

4. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    looks like lots of fun! [​IMG]

I'm making some monster cupcakes for my dd's 6th grade bingo night on Tuesday. Got the idea from Taste of Home - I might just use some of your ideas too! We made the cupcakes today and they are in the freezer waiting to be decorated.

bet you're tired though....[​IMG]

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Love those cupcakes and other edibles.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Wow! Somebody worked their fanny off for this party! Love the mummy dogs and the ice hand!

7. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    so talented!! love all the pictures!! great idears!!! i especially think the hand ice scultpure came out the best!!!! thanks for sharing! [​IMG]

8. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Very creative!

9. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

How fun!!!! I LOVE those mummy dogs, I might have to steal that idea. Your grandson is very lucky! [​IMG]

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Pelican, I remember the planning stages you posted, it turned out GREAT! Wow, what a lot of work, well done Grandma! [​IMG]

Marth Stewart's got nothing on you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by