The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Seems odd to me that they would put in whites since I've never seen mention of them- what if someone didn't want whites? I will have to look at the auction again to be sure, but I'm nearly certain that they don't mention them as a color possibility.

I would not be mad since I like whites- But if I didn't want that variety I might be irritated. Just a thought.

Hi everyone! I just found this thread & have a question maybe some of you could help me with. I won an auction for Orp chicks from Greenfire, the colors were supposed to be red, jubilee, partridge & gold lace. I took pics the day they arrived, they are all healthy & beautiful- but I am not sure what colors these are. Now they are developing the little wing feathers, some are solid white? Some are white & buff wings? I emailed GF to ask what colors they sent, have not heard back from them. Here are the pics, any input would be appreciated!

I hatch Reds and they can be various colors at first. Some are chipmunk striped. Some are kind of peach colored. And some are light blonde to almost white. But, they do have a little reddish tint. I don't think your whites are Reds. I know Greenfire also has Silver Laced. Wouldn't that be nice?

Seems odd to me that they would put in whites since I've never seen mention of them- what if someone didn't want whites? I will have to look at the auction again to be sure, but I'm nearly certain that they don't mention them as a color possibility.

I would not be mad since I like whites- But if I didn't want that variety I might be irritated. Just a thought.

Sometimes they are used as "fillers" to keep the other chicklest warm on their long journey. I think a lot of the time a breeder doesn't usually say what the filler chicks are when they ship them. But when you ask they usually will tell you
smile.png

I hatch Reds and they can be various colors at first. Some are chipmunk striped. Some are kind of peach colored. And some are light blonde to almost white. But, they do have a little reddish tint. I don't think your whites are Reds. I know Greenfire also has Silver Laced. Wouldn't that be nice?
Silver Laced would be WONDERFUL, but I think the other comments are right- they are white. I really don't like the white at all to be honest. I was afraid that's what they would be. I am happy to know I have the jubilee & partridge & possibly red. I really wish they had also put in the gold laced. I do understand about 'filler' chicks, but not sure they were needed in my order. It was for 12+ chicks, they were shipped in a very small box w/ heat pack plus I got them the next day. In hind site I don't think I would have bid nearly as much on these if I knew I would end up with the whites instead of the gold laced. I did see feedback where someone else had the same happen to them for the same auction a few days before mine. What I wonder is, if they feel the need for filler chicks, what not fill with chicks from one the advertised colors instead of omitting it and filling with a completely different one? And GF has not answered my email yet... Well, live & learn I suppose! And thank you all so much for your input!

[COLOR=800080]Silver Laced would be WONDERFUL, but I think the other comments are right- they are white. I really don't like the white at all to be honest. I was afraid that's what they would be. I am happy to know I have the jubilee & partridge & possibly red. I really wish they had also put in the gold laced. I do understand about 'filler' chicks, but not sure they were needed in my order. It was for 12+ chicks, they were shipped in a very small box w/ heat pack plus I got them the next day. In hind site I don't think I would have bid nearly as much on these if I knew I would end up with the whites instead of the gold laced. I did see feedback where someone else had the same happen to them for the same auction a few days before mine. What I wonder is, if they feel the need for filler chicks, what not fill with chicks from one the advertised colors instead of omitting it and filling with a completely different one?  And GF has not answered my email yet...    Well, live & learn I suppose! And thank you all so much for your input![/COLOR]

i got chicks from GFF a few weeks ago and had a question regarding the Mareks vaccine. It took them a week for them to get back to me as they were having computer trouble, don't sweat it, I'm sure they'll get back to you. And your chicks are adorable!

Last edited:
i got chicks from GFF a few weeks ago and had a question regarding the Mareks vaccine. It took them a week for them to get back to me as they were having computer trouble, don't sweat it, I'm sure they'll get back to you. And your chicks are adorable!
TY, yes they are cute. And I have to say they are all healthy & so busy! I heard about their internet being down, that's what I was told when I got the msg that my chicks were on the way.

[COLOR=800080]Silver Laced would be WONDERFUL, but I think the other comments are right- they are white. I really don't like the white at all to be honest. I was afraid that's what they would be. I am happy to know I have the jubilee & partridge & possibly red. I really wish they had also put in the gold laced. I do understand about 'filler' chicks, but not sure they were needed in my order. It was for 12+ chicks, they were shipped in a very small box w/ heat pack plus I got them the next day. In hind site I don't think I would have bid nearly as much on these if I knew I would end up with the whites instead of the gold laced. I did see feedback where someone else had the same happen to them for the same auction a few days before mine. What I wonder is, if they feel the need for filler chicks, what not fill with chicks from one the advertised colors instead of omitting it and filling with a completely different one?  And GF has not answered my email yet...    Well, live & learn I suppose! And thank you all so much for your input![/COLOR]

Jenny from greenfire will get back to you! Be patient. The whites are UK whites. I received a few in a rare chick special. Mine are beautiful, big and fluffy. Jenny has been extremely helpful identifying my chicks. Now I need to take a drive to Ohio for some of Nellie's chicks!

Hi everyone,
Yesterday I was browsing through the hatching eggs section and the chocolate bantam Orpingtons caught my eye. There is also English chocolate Orp hatching eggs for sale as well, and right now I'm debating if I want English or American bantam chocolate Orpingtons. Whatever I do end up getting, I plan on showing them. I guess what I came here for is: How does showing English Orps work? I know there is a totally different standard for English Orps. Can you even show English Orps at APA/ABA shows? Also, are chocolate Orps going to be accepted in the standard soon? It seems like such a popular color in Orpingtons.
Sorry for all the questions at once.

Hi everyone,
Yesterday I was browsing through the hatching eggs section and the chocolate bantam Orpingtons caught my eye. There is also English chocolate Orp hatching eggs for sale as well, and right now I'm debating if I want English or American bantam chocolate Orpingtons. Whatever I do end up getting, I plan on showing them. I guess what I came here for is: How does showing English Orps work? I know there is a totally different standard for English Orps. Can you even show English Orps at APA/ABA shows? Also, are chocolate Orps going to be accepted in the standard soon? It seems like such a popular color in Orpingtons.
Sorry for all the questions at once.
I'm sure if you read the description, they are all English Chocolate bantams or chocolate projects. I don't think there are any American Chocolate Orpingtons. I am probably wrong about this, so please don't bash me if I am. But, I wouldn't be surprised to see that someone is working on them. It would be easy to introduce the chocolate gene to the American type.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom