The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Do you ever wish you had labeled/titied your pics better.
This is one I took in the yard in 2011 and I am thinking WoW I like those pretty Orpingtons. Wonder whose picture I was taking at the time now

018-6.jpg

I thought i would share this pic of a awesome pair of true mottled orpingtons from Germany.What we are seeing here in the US is what the European orpington club calls Exchequer.http://www.orpington.nl/en/orpington-common/colours-large?album=4&gallery=124 The mottled orpington should only have white on the tips of the feathers not solid white feathers.For example the first pic is of a true mottled orpington.
Recently this post was brought to my attention and many Spangle /Mottle Orpington fans have asked me to comment on this matter from "Crystalwhite" stated that the Gentlemen Thomas Hommel from Germany has a " awesome pair of true Mottle Orpingtons. Yes, Thomas Hommel of Germany has The Top Spangle Orpingtons in the World....he has more National Titles then any other breeder in the World and has been breeding Opingtons for over 30+ years. The Spangles we see today are his creation. They are simply stunning and that I can only dream of someday owning Spangles of this caliber....Thomas prefers that the Spangle/Mottles be called there original given name "Spangle Orpingtons" he told me it was in England that the English added the "Mottle" Orpington part and since Thomas has become a good friend of mine he has taken me under his wing to help me get the Spangle in the US off to a great start I would like to honor that by also calling them "Spangle Orpingtons"...."Crystalwhite" has also stated that my Spangle Orpington breeding rooster "Cooper" is considered a "Excherquer" color....that is also incorrect. In the US the name Exchequer is refering to a Exchequer Leghorn....which the Spangle Orpingtons is not.

It has been no secret that the Spangle Orpington is extremely rare in this country and overseas...it is a color that is extrememly hard to keep and maintain correct...this Orpington color is not for the patient breeder and aiming for perfection is a slow and long process. The Spangle/Mottle growers can show little expression of the Mottles and only after the first moult into their adult plumage do they show their full color. But over the years after each consecutive moult the mottling can increase (the white) to show a greater expanse of white causing a blurred (washed out look) and a muddled appearance. Also the mottled expression on a individual feather can change so if a perfectly mottled feather was plucked on its regrowth it may either return the same, increase the mottling or show no sign of true mottling.

I've been hatching and growing the Spangle Orpington for 6 months and I'm not expert on them... and I can only share from what I see and learn....I see some Spangles with a lot of extra white and I see some that carry more black and some in between....no two are a like. These are extrememly large heavy Orpingtons with the most stunning color and friendly docile nature that all English Orpingtons are known for....

Marc Sarce imported these beautiful Spangle/Mottle Orpingtons with the help of Bob Follows of England....these are Top Spangles that have been brought into this country.....these Spangle blood lines originated from Thomas Hommel of Germany....we have the perfect stock her on our soil.....it is up to everyone of us to cherish and to improve on what we have....and hopefully someday we can to also say we have National quality....I enjoy sharing my information and encourgage open decussion about them....there is a lot to learn....and even more to learn on how to breed these to the correct standard...this is something that will not happen over night....but we all have the time to make the effort....I look forward to seeing the next generation.....good luck!

Last edited:
Do you ever wish you had labeled/titied your pics better.
This is one I took in the yard in 2011 and I am thinking WoW I like those pretty Orpingtons. Wonder whose picture I was taking at the time now

018-6.jpg

They sure are :) Maybe you can use the date it was taken....Most digital camera allow you to search by file name or date... THEN you might be able to look back through the import list using that date .. and find a post with pictures that will tell you more....but then..... maybe not... worth a shot though.

kidcody..great post about the spangled..the germans are passionate about their breeding programs..they know exactly what they want and work at it endless hours..i have german breeder freind also , told me a while ago that americans not all of them but a lot want everything instant , instant coffee , instant soup and instant results..its for the patient breeder to take on..and you have to understand every aspect and anticipate everything..

have not seen marcs spangled yet but would love to.

Last edited:
I had to share this picture, My daughter and her favorite chicken, Dorthy, an EB.
Dorthy is a Monty x Mrs. Pumphry daughter. A very big pullet, who shows how friendly and gentle Buff Orps can be.With birds this size, temperament is SO important ! I'll bet that she will untie shoelaces though, just to get attention. Wonderful photo, Tonea !

Dorthy is a Monty x Mrs. Pumphry daughter. A very big pullet, who shows how friendly and gentle Buff Orps can be.With birds this size, temperament is SO important ! I'll bet that she will untie shoelaces though, just to get attention. Wonderful photo, Tonea !
LOL.they are real sweet peas..

LOL.they are real sweet peas..
Haha no kidding! I always have to be careful out there not to step on my two girls from Dragon Lady! They are always under foot.

According to the standards for APA accepted Mottled breeds like Cochins, a Mottled should have White heart shapes at the tips of their feathers.
I hatched out 2 of what your calling a Mottled two years ago. They may have the Mottled gene, but far as I am concerned I called them back then "EXCHEQUERS". By definition they are not MOTTLEDS. If the APA ever accepts any new varieties of Orp and they accept Mottleds you can count on these judges to go by the standard for Mottleds in other breeds. Very unlikely you will EVER see another breed calling this look a Mottled.

Recently this post was brought to my attention and many Spangle /Mottle Orpington fans have asked me to comment on this matter from "Crystalwhite" stated that the Gentlemen Thomas Hommel from Germany has a " awesome pair of true Mottle Orpingtons. Yes, Thomas Hommel of Germany has The Top Spangle Orpingtons in the World....he has more National Titles then any other breeder in the World and has been breeding Opingtons for over 30+ years. The Spangles we see today are his creation. They are simply stunning and that I can only dream of someday owning Spangles of this caliber....Thomas prefers that the Spangle/Mottles be called there original given name "Spangle Orpingtons" he told me it was in England that the English added the "Mottle" Orpington part and since Thomas has become a good friend of mine he has taken me under his wing to help me get the Spangle in the US off to a great start I would like to honor that by also calling them "Spangle Orpingtons"...."Crystalwhite" has also stated that my Spangle Orpington breeding rooster "Cooper" is considered a "Excherquer" color....that is also incorrect. In the US the name Exchequer is refering to a Exchequer Leghorn....which the Spangle Orpingtons is not.

It has been no secret that the Spangle Orpington is extremely rare in this country and overseas...it is a color that is extrememly hard to keep and maintain correct...this Orpington color is not for the patient breeder and aiming for perfection is a slow and long process. The Spangle/Mottle growers can show little expression of the Mottles and only after the first moult into their adult plumage do they show their full color. But over the years after each consecutive moult the mottling can increase (the white) to show a greater expanse of white causing a blurred (washed out look) and a muddled appearance. Also the mottled expression on a individual feather can change so if a perfectly mottled feather was plucked on its regrowth it may either return the same, increase the mottling or show no sign of true mottling.

I've been hatching and growing the Spangle Orpington for 6 months and I'm not expert on them... and I can only share from what I see and learn....I see some Spangles with a lot of extra white and I see some that carry more black and some in between....no two are a like. These are extrememly large heavy Orpingtons with the most stunning color and friendly docile nature that all English Orpingtons are known for....

Marc Sarce imported these beautiful Spangle/Mottle Orpingtons with the help of Bob Follows of England....these are Top Spangles that have been brought into this country.....these Spangle blood lines originated from Thomas Hommel of Germany....we have the perfect stock her on our soil.....it is up to everyone of us to cherish and to improve on what we have....and hopefully someday we can to also say we have National quality....I enjoy sharing my information and encourgage open decussion about them....there is a lot to learn....and even more to learn on how to breed these to the correct standard...this is something that will not happen over night....but we all have the time to make the effort....I look forward to seeing the next generation.....good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom