The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Ok. I want to pretend this chick is a pullet. Chick has a round and full body shape like a hen and piles up with the others during the day. Doesn't spar or come running to noise, etc. Chick is actually pretty flighty and very tough to catch.
Supposed to be a lemon cuckoo but I don't see any obvious barring.
Anyway chick's face sure does look rooster like but not nearly as obvious as her rooster hatchmate.
I believe the chick is only 8-10 weeks old. Tell me... any chance this id a pullet?

With these new pictures of this one I say roo...I was on the fence about this one becasue I could not see very well but now that I can I say roo...it has a very large head and stands like a roo

With these new pictures of this one I say roo...I was on the fence about this one becasue I could not see very well but now that I can I say roo...it has a very large head and stands like a roo 

That's what I thought. Do you see barring obviously at this early age in such a pale chicken? Or is this little dude not a cuckoo? If not a cuckoo is the bird considered a buff? Or is "lemon" a color?

Vicki (dragonlady) here is some eye candy for you. I think you followed both of these girls from when they were chicklets
big_smile.png
They sure blossomed out nice.

And some young girls, looks like they make a heart between them
love.gif

One last cute pic

That's what I thought. Do you see barring obviously at this early age in such a pale chicken? Or is this little dude not a cuckoo? If not a cuckoo is the bird considered a buff? Or is "lemon" a color?

I do not see any barring, I would say not a cuckoo. However I have seen some single Barred Males look prettty pale then the Barring show up better at adult molt. Sometimes with a single feather held up to the light you can see very slight color lines. I hve not decided yet if this is Barring not showing up well, or some other "leaked through" pattern gene that just does not show on Buffs...remember on Buffs there is alot of inhibitors and reducers working.
Lemon is not a color, "Lemon Cuckoo" is also referred to as "Buff Barred" as that is essentially what they are. The Cuckoo Barring tends to turn the Buff to a Lemon Yellow color , so without the Barring Gene you just have a buff.
Generally when breeding LCO's the buff birds you get in the building do not have very good color to them. Apparently who ever bred this bird is using a single barred Rooster over some buff hens. This will leave a certain percentage of the offspring as poorly colored Buffs.

Last edited:
I do not see any barring, I would say not a cuckoo. However I have seen some single Barred Males look prettty pale then the Barring show up better at adult molt. Sometimes with a single feather held up to the light you can see very slight color lines. I hve not decided yet if this is Barring not showing up well, or some other "leaked through" pattern gene that just does not show on Buffs...remember on Buffs there is alot of inhibitors and reducers working.
Lemon is not a color, "Lemon Cuckoo" is also referred to as "Buff Barred" as that is essentially what they are. The Cuckoo Barring tends to turn the Buff to a Lemon Yellow color , so without the Barring Gene you just have a buff.
Generally when breeding LCO's the buff birds you get in the building do not have very good color to them. Apparently who ever bred this bird is using a single barred Rooster over some buff hens. This will leave a certain percentage of the offspring as poorly colored Buffs.

Thanks. That's what I thought too, actually. I was looking at individual feathers and seeing some color variation and thought exactly what you said you wonder. Is it poorly expressing barring or just leaking from something else entirely.
The bird is flighty as heck and definitely doesn't have a temperament I would breed with anyway. Shame it won't be a hen that can at least contribute some eggs in my laying flock.
I understand the barring gene to be sex linked so it certainly doesn't make sense to use a single barred rooster and therefore get any percentage of low quality hatchlings. I will ask the breeder about the roo covering the lemon orp or buff orp ladies as I am curious now.
Thanks for helping a novice! :) I appreciate it!

Thanks. That's what I thought too, actually. I was looking at individual feathers and seeing some color variation and thought exactly what you said you wonder. Is it poorly expressing barring or just leaking from something else entirely.
The bird is flighty as heck and definitely doesn't have a temperament I would breed with anyway. Shame it won't be a hen that can at least contribute some eggs in my laying flock.
I understand the barring gene to be sex linked so it certainly doesn't make sense to use a single barred rooster and therefore get any percentage of low quality hatchlings. I will ask the breeder about the roo covering the lemon orp or buff orp ladies as I am curious now.
Thanks for helping a novice! :) I appreciate it!

Whatever he is doing, I would find it difficult to believe he is putting a Double Barred Rooster on barred hens. As a rule, you just do not get birds like that one. However...stranger things have happened, lol!

Back
Top Bottom