The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

This is a chocolate cuckoo cockerel

I am new to Orpington's, could someone exsplain or show me a picture between single barred and double barred chocolate cuckoo or cuckoo. I am confused on how to tell. Thanks

@rockinpaints has a pretty good explanation on her site. Basically, a single barred roo will be the same color as a barred hen (roughly 50/50 main color and white). A double barred roo will be 2/3 white and so will look paler than the hens.

http://thefancychick.com/CuckooOrpington.html

In this pic you can see the double barred bird on the left next to a single barred bird.

@rockinpaints has a pretty good explanation on her site. Basically, a single barred roo will be the same color as a barred hen (roughly 50/50 main color and white). A double barred roo will be 2/3 white and so will look paler than the hens.

http://thefancychick.com/CuckooOrpington.html

In this pic you can see the double barred bird on the left next to a single barred bird.

I take it that is a lemon cuckoo female on the left? If so, I am impressed with your barring expression!

Hi. I just bought a Chocolate Orpington hen large fowl. I'm having a hard time to find a large fowl Chocolote orpington Roo. I have a pair of Lavender Orpingtons, what would I get if I put the Chocolate orpington hen with the Lavender Roo. Would it be possible to breed a chocolate roo at all with this combination? Any advice would be appreciated

Sure it's possible... but it won't be easy :)

Cross Lav roo with choc hen...

(since each offspring will only have 1 copy of the lav gene, they will all be black (carrying the lavender gene). Then the choc sex linked gene will modify the black in half the hens that get it from their mother.

so... f1 cross will be all black roos (all of which carry 1 copy of the lavender gene, and half of which carry 1 copy of the Choc gene)

For an F2 cross to produce a choc rooster, you have to get lucky (50-50 chance) and guess which F1 black roo is carrying the choc gene and breed him back to his chocolate mother. That cross will produce half black males and half choc males. Of course, there will also be a 25% chance the choc rooster produced from this pairing will be a carrier of lavender, which may be detrimental in offspring in the future if you are looking to only breed true chocolates.

To increase your odds of selecting the right F1 rooster to breed back to your choc hen, I'd start out with the best looking black roo at subadulthood and put him with the choc hen for around a month, hatching out all her eggs. Since some of the pullets will be chocolate, you'll have to raise them at least to the point of age where you can sex them to be sure you did get a choc cockrel and not just a pullet. Repeat this process monthly with at least 4 different black roos (possible carrier for choc) over the choc hen, and your odds of one of those 4 being a choc carrier will be a bit over 90%.

So... long story short... it's def doable to produce choc roos from what you currently have, but would be more work than it's worth, IMO.

@megalomaniac the first cross is going to 100% carrying lavender and if using a chocolate hen then all males will carry 1 copy of chocolate.

Back
Top Bottom