The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Lol look in the middle between the pictures of your quote. It's there.
gig.gif
Thank you I'm kind of hoping it turns out really frizzled since I've never had one before.
big_smile.png

OMG! Glad to have another English Orp breeder! Well I'm going to take pictures of the gold laced chicks today so I'll post pics here in a few!!! They are so big now! I will be receiving my Silver laced orps here in the next 2 weeks!!!!! Can't wait to start the mauve orp projects!

I am looking to add a rooster to my flock and have decided on an Orpington because of their temperament, I found one near me but he is HUGE he hasn't been free ranging so my question is, could he just be overweight and once he gets more active he will slim down? I need a protector of my flock and I worry he's so big he won't be able to? Thought?

I am looking to add a rooster to my flock and have decided on an Orpington because of their temperament, I found one near me but he is HUGE he hasn't been free ranging so my question is, could he just be overweight and once he gets more active he will slim down? I need a protector of my flock and I worry he's so big he won't be able to? Thought?

They ARE huge. There's a reason everyone uses 5G bucket shots when they want to talk about size, LOL! To access if he's overweight, you have to get hands-on and feel his breast under all those feathers. This is my boy at 6 months. He's NOT fat. Look back a few pages at the barred boys that @Papa Brooder posted. They're ENORMOUS!

Last edited:
OMG! Glad to have another English Orp breeder! Well I'm going to take pictures of the gold laced chicks today so I'll post pics here in a few!!! They are so big now! I will be receiving my Silver laced orps here in the next 2 weeks!!!!! Can't wait to start the mauve orp projects!

Did you read what happened playing with the calculator? Good luck!! Post picks of your Silver laced and definitely keep updates coming...you're going to my favorite daily soap opera...the mauve Silver laced project!

I now have:
4 English Gold Laced
5 Silver laced
2 English Lavenders (4 eggs, fingers crossed for hatch)
8 English Lavender Cuckoo eggs
8 Chocolates (3 unsexed chicks) I now have a new bloodline I hope is larger; mine are mid, but bums have great fluff.
3 black 3 blue and 2 splash I get next week (chicks)
Lemon and Blue(English) and chocolate cuckoo eggs!!!!
2 Spangled (not breeding these just wanted them.

I want a deleware orpington. and I need a partridge.

I now have:
4 English Gold Laced
5 Silver laced
8 Chocolates (3 unsexed chicks) I now have a new bloodline I hope is larger; mine are mid, but bums have great fluff.

My friend that breeds English orps has the BEST English Partridge I've ever seen! They are to die for!

I now have:
4 English Gold Laced
5 Silver laced

Wish I had room for Lots of Orps, but sigh no! The Delaware Orp is beautiful. Imagine it in Mauve!!

Yes, people selling project birds without disclosing that that's what they are is what caused the problem, but I also simply don't see WHY you would mix lavender birds into a BBS pen. I can't figure out what they would bring to the BBS (whereas adding black or blue into your lavender pen can bring better feather quality, better size, and better conformation). The Goal is the question for me. Jeremy knows waaaaay more about genetics than I probably ever will though so it's entirely possible there's some nuance I'm missing.

You should never use Lavender birds to breed better Blue, Black, or Splash birds...

But you can use Blue, Black, or Splash birds to breed better Lavenders.

Lavs won't do much for you if you're breeding for BBS, other than add a new bloodline. But their type typically isn't as good as most BBS lines out there, which there are plenty of, so you shouldn't need to outcross to another color to add new genetic diversity.

Back
Top Bottom