The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

So, heres the chick in question.. Like I said, I'd LOVE for it to be a jubilee but certainly not holding my breath. Im 99.9% sure that its just wishful thinking, but wanted the opinion of those with way more experience than me. Its "rear heavy" like my mottled babies, and had that "big nostril" look as a new hatch.. anyways, ready for my hope to be shot down..lol

ETA: For some reason the flash washedthe coloring out..the colors coming in on the wings looks reddish and black..

Last edited:
Outdoorlover,

Thank you!! I absolutely will! What started me on this search was a couple chicks I purchased that are "English BBS Orps," I didn't know enough to ask to see parent stock, so who knows how much English blood and type are in them! They are only two weeks old, so I guess we will find out!
I know the feeling, if any of mine turn out to be roosters I will take my time and really shop around before purchasing the replacement

I know the feeling, if any of mine turn out to be roosters I will take my time and really shop around before purchasing the replacement

I got my two partridge English Orpingtons from Birch Ridge Farms. They are on FB, highly rated and very nice and care about their birds.A lot of chicks didn't make it by the time they got to my house (I would ask for a heat pack and fabric glued over the air holes if I ordered again), but the girls grew up big and BEAUTIFUL. I rehomed the black and lavender that turned out to be male--and they were even prettier. The black one was iridescent and totally circular. The Lavender cuckoo was simply stunning and enormous. I need to take some more pictures , but here are some baby pictures--one of the girls is broody right now.

I got my two partridge English Orpingtons from Birch Ridge Farms. They are on FB, highly rated and very nice and care about their birds.A lot of chicks didn't make it by the time they got to my house (I would ask for a heat pack and fabric glued over the air holes if I ordered again), but the girls grew up big and BEAUTIFUL. I rehomed the black and lavender that turned out to be male--and they were even prettier. The black one was iridescent and totally circular. The Lavender cuckoo was simply stunning and enormous. I need to take some more pictures , but here are some baby pictures--one of the girls is broody right now.

Awww,
love.gif
Lol you make me want to buy some more chicks
yesss.gif

Congrats to Moma Mocha!

My Cookie decided to go broody as well (She's a bantam orp, so it doesn't take much.) A few days ago, I swapped out her golf balls for 2 incubator eggs. I didn't want to miss an opportunity to have her do all the work, but I wasn't sure if she'd adopt them without feeling the chicks hatch under her. Sadly, my clumsy roo jumped into Cookie's nest box & smash on of the eggs. I found out about this after it was too late for the smashed egg & the unbroken egg was ice cold. Well, that little choc cuckoo orp is a fighter & hatched this afternoon.

So here's where I really get to play mind games with my hen..... She went broody last week & hatched a single egg today. Chickens can't tell time, so that wasn't a big deal. Then I kept slipping chicks underneath her from our incubator. Poor gal can’t count, but I wonder if she realizes that she’s adopting about 20 extra chicks. That’s a lot of babies from one egg! LOL
Because she's a bantam & the chicks are full size, it's easiest to just put her into the brooder & then add a "mama heating pad" for the overflow.

It was a busy day! At one point I had 15 people in my living room. 29 visitors stopped by & I haven't had time to count all the chicks & colors yet. It's spring break for my youngest, so Mr Popular invited some of his 1st grade class to watch the incubator & also had 3 different play dates here today.

Here are a few of my fav pics....

Last night around 10:30pm when I 1st tried going to bed. See those lonely 2 chicks.

This morning at 10:30am. A very crowded incubator!

Here are 3 of the choc cuckoos. The one on left is darker.

Here's the darker choc cuckoo next to a black orp. They are both English but different lines. Huge diff in size!

Here are a couple lavs. I think I have 4 (but more may hatch). These are also English &HUGE. Hen are about 9-10 lbs easy. My 3 yr old roo's about 14-15 lbs & up to my knee.

Black orps

This chick had something important to say.

Cookie in the brooder. (in the garage)
yesss.gif
No Chick dust in the house!

The brooder is a folding baby playpen. It's my "Peck & Play" brooder.

Chicks can go under hen & the overflow can snuggle under the Mama Heating Pad.

jumpy.gif
Still have more pips in the chicken eggs & now the quail eggs have started popping.

To give an idea of size, here's DS at Christmas with a medium sized black/lav split orp pullet (about 8 mo)

Here's her big sis a lav orp pullet of same age

Below was 2015 Christmas with one of our larger hens (In the pic she was 7 mo)

DS called her "MINE" (Later she got the names "Nemo" & then "Sweetie") This particular hen loves to follow the kids around & join in their games.

Our choc cuckoo orp cockerel is also English, but from a different line. He thinks he looks good & struts around the yard.
(His name is Brick, because he was only gifted in "looks" not brains. It' short for "Dumb as a Brick.")

but he's only about the size of one of our lav hens.
We have a bantam orp & she weighs very little. Brick is solid & not a bantam.

Back
Top Bottom