The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

April 23, 2021 hatch. I can't believe she's laying so "early."

My temptation to hatch is growing. Must resist. Must resist!
View attachment 2906270
My policy is to hatch all turkey eggs. Unless for some reason I just can’t.

And of course, if there’s turkey eggs in the ‘bator, some chicken eggs have to go in a week later. They just do.

Ugly chicken!
My poor pullet is molting. She looks like a naked neck! Her head and neck are all pins. I told her this is not the time of year to look like a turkey.
IMG_9065 (2).JPG

Meanwhile my birds are playing "how many pounds of poultry can this shelf hold?"
We're up to 1 turkey, 3 very large orpingtons, 2 Legohorns, and 1 serama. (He's hiding under the fluffy hens) Notice how I had to tie some extra support to the roof? I was afraid the shelf might bend. Also notice how the roost below is practically empty?!
IMG_9070 (2).JPG

Ugly chicken!
My poor pullet is molting. She looks like a naked neck! Her head and neck are all pins. I told her this is not the time of year to look like a turkey.
IMG_9065 (2).JPG

Meanwhile my birds are playing "how many pounds of poultry can this shelf hold?"
We're up to 1 turkey, 3 very large orpingtons, 2 Legohorns, and 1 serama. (He's hiding under the fluffy hens) Notice how I had to tie some extra support to the roof? I was afraid the shelf might bend. Also notice how the roost below is practically empty?!
IMG_9070 (2).JPG
I love this! 😍😆 I just find the roosting habits of chickens to be so amusing! All that space and still they pile onto each other in the same tiny space! 😆 my favorite thing is to sit with them until they head to bed and watching and listening to them “go to bed”. It’s hilarious and noisy and never gets old 😁 My mauve Orp feels it necessary to always have the space on the roost occupied by others and often settles in on top of other hens or with her fluffy rear end in the other chickens faces haha. So entertaining they are! 🥰

My policy is to hatch all turkey eggs. Unless for some reason I just can’t.

And of course, if there’s turkey eggs in the ‘bator, some chicken eggs have to go in a week later. They just do.
Same!
Ugly chicken!
IMG_9065 (2).JPG

IMG_9070 (2).JPG
I'll have to get a picture of Dahlia one night. She never ceases to amaze me, heaving her bulk up into the rafters of the barn.

[QUOTE="ColtHandorf, post: 25155213, member: 533208"
I'll have to get a picture of Dahlia one night. She never ceases to amaze me, heaving her bulk up into the rafters of the barn.
[/QUOTE]

Did I mention my coop is 8’ tall? That shelf is above my head. Every night I must reach up with straight arms to grab that big rooster and carry him to garage. The SLO is easygoing and waits with his ladies in the coop until I pick him up. There’s a little serama dude who stays warm by nestling under some orp hens. Sometimes he’s hard to find under all that fluff. These 3 boys sleep together in garage every night.

Did I mention my coop is 8’ tall? That shelf is above my head. Every night I must reach up with straight arms to grab that big rooster and carry him to garage. The SLO is easygoing and waits with his ladies in the coop until I pick him up. There’s a little serama dude who stays warm by nestling under some orp hens. Sometimes he’s hard to find under all that fluff. These 3 boys sleep together in garage every night.
I can't reach her when she gets up there. I can barely reach the 2x4 she perches on. The turkey hens I could get to step up onto my hand to put them back where they belong. The guineas I just left to their own devices. I'm over six feet and I'd guess my arm is probably 2.5 feet or so. So it's at least 8 feet. She's got to be jumping/flying from the roost. So she's defying gravity for 5+ feet.
(ignore the photo-bombing boy in background. LOL)
I didn't even see him the first time! Haha That cockerel is super cute though.

Back
Top Bottom