The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

LOTS of LF orpingtons here in the US are a result of haven been crossed with UK orps, (thank you to those that have made this cross, you have produced some outstanding birds
love.gif
) what makes such a big difference if the UK bantams are crossed with American bantam orps????
hu.gif

Aren't the majority of the UK bantams here now all from the same blood lines? Most of the chocolates being sold are they not already all related offspring with so few having been brought in to work with? If they are not out crossed at some point is there not going to be a very stagnant gene pool thus causing problems?

A "split" is not a mix of two different countries blood into one bird, a split (in my mind) is a bird that carries a gene for something (ie: lavender or cuckoo) but doesn't express it.

Quote:
Should be fine. Give it another day to strengthen a bit and then pull off anything left behind.
hugs.gif

Agreed!

Quote:
Theres one line of Chocolate Orps in the world. You can either use Bantam Black Orpingtons that are here for outcrossing, or you can import some. (If you import some Bantam Blacks you should get some others too )
big_smile.png

Hi from Ga. I guess not being a show person you can educate me on the word SPLIT . As breeders you talk of different colors ( black+blue = 50% black and 50% blue and so forth ) So if you mix an English bird with an American bird what class are you going to show it in? Haven't you split the gene pool in doing this? how many generations does it take to get the standard your looking for?
big_smile.png

Quote:
Typically when talking about splits it would be in the way where it carries a gene but isn't expressing it. For example when you cross a Chocolate male over a Black female, the males will be split because they carry the Chocolate gene but they look black. Also works the same way with Lavender, except for the sex link part, when you cross a lavender and a black all of the offspring will be split.

Quote:
Regardless of what blood or how much of that blood the bird carries ALL LF (large fowl) orpingtons are in the ENGLISH catagory at a show. ALL Bantam orps are in SCCL bantam catagory (single comb clean legged).

Back
Top Bottom