The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

did you put a 2x4 thru the can or something for them to roost on? or is it just the can they sit on/in? how do you keep the rain out? if they sit in the bottom of the can do you find their butts get a lot of poop stuck to them?

Some pens have a roost some don't. I find my birds in some pens will not use the roosts. In my Lav pen they will not use the log to roost on or the 2x4

It finally stopped raining here so I took the opportunity to take a few pictures. My Choc babies are over a week old now, they're feathering in and are starting to look ugly.
lol.png

The Chocolate.

Look at that little comb already growing, please let it be a boy!
fl.gif

The Black chick, if it's a cockerel it will be split to Chocolate.

This one's comb seems to be a bit bigger too... and kind of pink. I also see wattles!!! Do y'all see it?

The little black chick is looking like a boy to me as well Jeremy. I'm going to go stare at a choc orp female chick and see what she looks like up close like that.
The photos make the legs look chunkier on the black than on the choc
and the female chick I just picked up and examined has little tiny wattles like that but she is 5 weeks old.
maybe they are both boys

Last edited:
I can now officially join this thread. I got a 10 week old Bantam Chocolate rooster today. He knows he is HOT stuff and goes strutting around the chickens with his chest all puffed out. I will try and get pictures of him tomarrow. We named him Lil Don, after my friend who gave him to me.

I have a pair of LF Black Orpingtons from the HinkyJC line. I plan on putting him with my Black Orp hen as soon as he gets big enough to breed. Would like to start making LF Chocolates.

~ Aspen

My buddy sent me this link with a warning to not post photos cause the guy who owns the copyright is known to make a big stink of people posting his pics online.  Which is sad.  But there is no issue to post the link.  The link shows nice old pics of Orps near 80 years ago.  Check em out and enjoy your birds

[COLOR=0066CC]http://www.poultryphotos.co.uk/orpingtons_montage.htm[/COLOR]

The Black Orp montage on this site makes me drool. These pictures are mostly from the 1930's and many look identical to the type I see being imported into the USA now. It's interesting to me that some of the whites and nearly all of the Jubilees look almost nothing like an Orp.

Last edited:
The Black Orp montage on this site makes me drool. These pictures are mostly from the 1930's and many look identical to the type I see being imported into the USA now. It's interesting to me that some of the whites and nearly all of the Jubilees look almost nothing like an Orp.

If it is like here in the USA at that time, many varieties had zero common blood and were independantly developed from each other.

If it is like here in the USA at that time, many varieties had zero common blood and were independantly developed from each other.

Very true. For instance the buff had zero blood in common with the original blacks. I was thinking that those varieties were pretty new then and type hadn't been finished yet.

Very true. For instance the buff had zero blood in common with the original blacks. I was thinking that those varieties were pretty new then and type hadn't been finished yet.
Even with the recent imports of today. Like the jubilees, their looking great, but they still need size. My friend out west has them and she said that is the only thing she has to work on is size. As we all know Chocs are needing to breed to standard size. Lemon Cuckoos seem to look like more a hatchery grade of quality so they are in need of definite work. Same with Lavs. Both of those 2 varieites are in about the same stage of development.
For me I have these Cuckoos who were given to me from one of BYC's better breeders. they are just needing a bit more size. But I like the type of my Cuckoos. And then I love the size and type of my Brown Red project birds. Those are totally my development from Exhibition Blacks and Buffs. I just need more to make to that get off the ground. Same with my Duns. So I guess it is just a few of each variety who made them from what they had and that is why you see such a difference.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom