The Moonshiner's Chick Chat

5 new chicks

Attachments

• 20230612_182802.jpg
    20230612_182802.jpg
    608.3 KB · Views: 4
It's all good. I knew they sucked and their birds were poor quality but all I wanted was the chocolate gene.
I actually thought it would work to my advantage if their Orpingtons didn't look like good Orpingtons. You know a crappy Orpington is closer to the Leghorn then a good Orpington. That was my thought.
I had that same thought about something similar. I can’t remember…

I had that same thought about something similar. I can’t remember…
I'll wait a few days for some of my black leghorns to get wing feathers and for the Orpingtons to get something significant. They feather so slow compared to what I'm used to.
But anyways I'll do a side by side cause I think the Orpingtons may actually be Chocolate (maybe)

My wife found one of the last batch dead today. That sucked! It was one of the pullets from my special order. She was 4 weeks old. Until now they’ve been a tough little bunch.
Just dead? No crazy accident or something?

I took a half ton of birds to the auction. Me and the boy was running around catching loose roosters in and around the barn. He caught one and asked why does this one only have one wing. I was like..... what?
I went and checked him out and sure enough he was completely missing a wing. I knew the bird and have no idea when or how he lost it. It was very odd.

Just dead? No crazy accident or something?

I took a half ton of birds to the auction. Me and the boy was running around catching loose roosters in and around the barn. He caught one and asked why does this one only have one wing. I was like..... what?
I went and checked him out and sure enough he was completely missing a wing. I knew the bird and have no idea when or how he lost it. It was very odd.
I know it's serious, thats just kinda funny. Wonder if it happened during the raccoon this season

I know it's serious, thats just kinda funny. Wonder if it happened during the raccoon this season
Oh I get it. It was kind of funny just how it played out. I thought he was crazy but ya, no wing.
I thought the same thing in thinking the raccoons.

Just dead, in the pen. It hadn’t been mauled by the other birds or anything like that. I also put up one round of trailer siding to keep things like raccoons from reaching in and killing them. I had just moved my young roosters out and cleaned the pen good and put fresh shavings down.

Just dead, in the pen. It hadn’t been mauled by the other birds or anything like that. I also put up one round of trailer siding to keep things like raccoons from reaching in and killing them. I had just moved my young roosters out and cleaned the pen good and put fresh shavings down.
That sucks

Back
Top Bottom