The Moonshiner's Chick Chat

View attachment 3840800
My Silkies are about ready to go outside
I like this! Working getting mine set up with three brooders in the garage! I'll have to stop hatching stuff after this last batch due early June tho. Its gotten so hot I don't think I can brood in the garage for more than two weeks now.

I like this! Working getting mine set up with three brooders in the garage! I'll have to stop hatching stuff after this last batch due early June tho. Its gotten so hot I don't think I can brood in the garage for more than two weeks now.
Last of this year's should hatch mid-June. After that, only eggs that broodies left behind will be placed in the incubators to hatch.

Good season, barring that 60 hours power outage. I think I got close to 90% hatch rate (wasn't keeping tabs).

Now I *really* need to make some outdoor brooders!!!

Last of this year's should hatch mid-June. After that, only eggs that broodies left behind will be placed in the incubators to hatch.

Good season, barring that 60 hours power outage. I think I got close to 90% hatch rate (wasn't keeping tabs).

Now I *really* need to make some outdoor brooders!!!
LOL, I started the three new out door brooders today! Told my brother I don't need to anchor them because I'm taking them down after all the babies are gone this year. He told me no you wont stop hatching and having them just anchor later but do it. LOL.

Hey everyone. I still have chickens. My RIR auto sexing project is pretty much complete. This last batch I hatched, there was never a doubt about how many pullets and cockerels I had. I just got one problem. I have lots more cockerels than pullets! 😭

I pulled eggs from 3 different groups and mixed them all together in the incubator. Rookie mistake, I know. One group rotates out to go live on someone else’s farm. I’ll have to pull from one group and hope to find more pullets… I don’t know. Seems like a lot of work… And hatching.

I actually have 4 brooders and they're in my basement lol. But my Silkies are outside now which they're still little scared to go outside the coop.

Can't have a basement either, unless I want to blow it out of the solid rock. And, that would be silly for a trailer.

So all my babies are inside with me, and the place is filled to capacity (and beyond) right now. But it's still getting cold at night. Had to put my heater on a few times still.

Can't have a basement either, unless I want to blow it out of the solid rock. And, that would be silly for a trailer.

So all my babies are inside with me, and the place is filled to capacity (and beyond) right now. But it's still getting cold at night. Had to put my heater on a few times still.
I did that for my Halloween hatch and my Thanksgiving hatch. Wont be happening again. That was crazy.

Kronk
20240603_102809.jpg
Pacha
20240603_102802.jpg

Back
Top Bottom