The Old Folks Home

I have my M ranking in my drivers license. Got it about 7 years ago or so. Own a VTR 250. DH also rides. He is a veteran racer, road racing and has a wall of trophies and plaques. He is an excellent rider and we also own a Vintage Virago that we ride two up on. One day though we were out on my VTR. Two up on route 36 when we had a woman in a SUV come ripping off a merging side street and almost broadside us. Only his skill kept us upright, off her front grill like a big old hood ornament and in our lane.
That pretty much soured me out on road riding. Most motorcycle riders are safety conscious. (Not saying that all are, just most) You have to be because your realize that if you aren't you are going to be turned into road pizza. One of the biggest hazards is distracted drivers. People on cell phones, people not watching their mirrors, people yelling at kids, the same hazards we faced while cycling. I still have my VTR even though I haven't ridden on the road for ages. I also have a 70cc Zuma that I upgraded myself from a 50cc. I do ride it on the road running errands around the neighborhood along with my 125cc Honda TTR dirtbike and a Honda 150 Dirtbike. One day somebody asked me why I didn't ride on the road and I told them that because when I ride in the timber I don't have to worry about being sideswiped and I've never had a tree jump out in front of me.

Motorcyclist here are insane. They're allowed to 'cut lanes'. They're supposed to only do it in the fast & carpool lanes, but they do it in all of them. The traffic will be going 5mph & some crazy dude will whip by at 65mph from out of no where. Its impossible to see them when you're in traffic & they're going that fast. :barnie

On an unrelated note, we (he) should never have taught the dog to ring the cowbell on the front door when she wants to go out.

:lau:gig

Welcome to our group, Room.

Thanks! :frow

Woke up this morning and said WHAT IS THAT BRIGHTNESS OUTSIDE? NO! WAIT! IT's THE SUN!:weeIt's kind of like that old "Camp Granada" Or Hello Mudder Hello Father song.

Missouri is a miserable mud slogged, cold gloomy place. No sun, no warmth oh wait, the sun is out. Birds are singing, never mind!

I actually house broke our border collie using the 'door bell' method, or rather she house broke herself that way. She was a hard nut to crack when it came to house breaking. Badly abused when she was dumped on our street, if you even yelled at her she would turn into a traumatized mess so all I could do was gently scold her and take her outside when an accident happened. She loved being outside and discovered over the Christmas holiday that she could nose the bells hanging on the back door and I would open the door for her. Bingo, the light bulb switched on. She is 14 years old now and will still ring that bell, sometimes to the point that we have to take them down from the door.

Yep we are well trained also.

Did bacon sandwiches for breakfast. Need to get out and work on the coops this morning since the sun is out.

We have 2 newly adopted, full grown cats here. I'm trying to teach them they're not allowed on the kitchen counters or kitchen table. They're SUPER smart. I just have to say "No!" People are telling me this cant be done & they'll climb up there when I'm not home. Who cares! As long as they're not up there when I'm home, preparing food & feeding people I'll consider it a win.

Lane splitting is insane. DH tells me that some states actually encourage it, or don't discourage it one of the two. It's against the law in MO and IL. Frankly it's an accident looking for a place to happen.

My big complaint while riding my bicycle (DH says it happened to him while riding a motorcycle) is drivers that would pass me IN the lane I was riding in. I always rode to the far right and we always rode single file and inevitably a driver would go around us so close you could reach out and touch their car. I had one go around me so close that their door handle was less than a foot from my elbow. Had I moved either way I would have wrecked. They were laughing on the way by. It's during those times that you just pray for steady hands on the handlebars.

Too many people forget that cars vs motorcycle or even bike is a no win scenario for who ever is on 2 wheels.It doesn't pay to take chances, bad riders make it bad for good riders and no matter what drivers think, they don't own the road.

I have a whole list of things to get done outside. The sun is still out and the wind has picked up. Everything is just so waterlogged though that the ground squishes when you walk and the runs are just mucky. The birds don't seem to mind though and are out cluck cluck clucking around in it looking for treasures in the mud.

I was able to get a few things checked off the list though. Hopeuflly tomorrow I can get out and do some fence work.

Just got a picture from the neighbors. The have three sheep and one of them just gave them a new baby.

Going to walk over tomorrow to see it. Can't resist seeing a new baby.

@Beer can. Either that looks like deer scat or you got really big rabbits that are full of........well, you know.

They really stuffed themselves this morning, between slop and a bit of scratch plus digging up bugs! Look at her crop!
That is what my girls looked like yesterday and the day before. Today? Not so much. Below freezing, sleet, freezing rain, girls hanging in the barn alley. Nothing to forage there.
something planted a couple wheelbarrow loads of these round seeds
Looks just like what I find between the barns and in front of the wild rabbit feeding station.

People are telling me this cant be done & they'll climb up there when I'm not home. Who cares! As long as they're not up there when I'm home, preparing food & feeding people I'll consider it a win.
Yep, that is how it works. They sort of forget the rules when you aren't there to watch.

Lane splitting is insane. DH tells me that some states actually encourage it, or don't discourage it one of the two. It's against the law in MO and IL. Frankly it's an accident looking for a place to happen.

My big complaint while riding my bicycle (DH says it happened to him while riding a motorcycle) is drivers that would pass me IN the lane I was riding in. I always rode to the far right and we always rode single file and inevitably a driver would go around us so close you could reach out and touch their car. I had one go around me so close that their door handle was less than a foot from my elbow. Had I moved either way I would have wrecked. They were laughing on the way by. It's during those times that you just pray for steady hands on the handlebars.

Too many people forget that cars vs motorcycle or even bike is a no win scenario for who ever is on 2 wheels.It doesn't pay to take chances, bad riders make it bad for good riders and no matter what drivers think, they don't own the road.

I have a whole list of things to get done outside. The sun is still out and the wind has picked up. Everything is just so waterlogged though that the ground squishes when you walk and the runs are just mucky. The birds don't seem to mind though and are out cluck cluck clucking around in it looking for treasures in the mud.

I was able to get a few things checked off the list though. Hopeuflly tomorrow I can get out and do some fence work.

Just got a picture from the neighbors. The have three sheep and one of them just gave them a new baby.

Going to walk over tomorrow to see it. Can't resist seeing a new baby.

@Beer can. Either that looks like deer scat or you got really big rabbits that are full of........well, you know.
Amen well put, well said. Hubby has bin riding for over 40yrs he agrees with you intirely, thank you :love

I see you bouncing up and down there Penny, glad you are doing better!
Look Crocus blooming ! View attachment 1275749

just wet again here nothing blooming here yet but in the house

micro and superchem
Only time I went down was a car coming across two lanes hitting my back tire
I was young ruptured my knee cap shoving it up sits higher on the leg ruptured the quadricep on my right leg also only wreck on it haunted me for years had a great orthopedic get it going again with shock therapy and lots of work...

dad was a motorcycle rider.... rode a harly. with the rolls to protect your legs if the bike went down. One day he was getting on the freeway and was laying it down to make the turn his roll was about one inch from the pavement... No helmet in those days... as he came around there was a place in the concrete where it was pushed up from a tree... It clpped his roll and flipped the bike end over end...

When he woke up there was a stone angel leaning over him. He thought he had died. But then he realized he had been thrown in the grave yard... All he got was a broken collar bone.... lucky Sh..t. :gig

deb

dad was a motorcycle rider.... rode a harly. with the rolls to protect your legs if the bike went down. One day he was getting on the freeway and was laying it down to make the turn his roll was about one inch from the pavement... No helmet in those days... as he came around there was a place in the concrete where it was pushed up from a tree... It clpped his roll and flipped the bike end over end...

When he woke up there was a stone angel leaning over him. He thought he had died. But then he realized he had been thrown in the grave yard... All he got was a broken collar bone.... lucky Sh..t. :gig

deb

bet he woke up thanking god the rest of his days I do

Back
Top Bottom