The Old Folks Home

Chicken behavior tells me there's something prowling around. I'm beginning to wonder if the ones that are flying around again are eagles. I checked if there are eagles in the vicinity and came across the game commissions video of the Hanover eagles (Hanover, pa). Here is a screen shot of her laying her first egg in a snow storm on Feb 2. This is about 20 miles from us. They also have videos of the pair building their nest. It seems a little far to see them around here but the two I saw the last two days look dark with white heads. Next time I see them I will try to get a picture.
Anyhow, we worry about our chickens in snow, and the eagle laid her first egg outside in a snow storm! Check it out

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210304-113751.jpg
    Screenshot_20210304-113751.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 8
We just "listened".
That works once you know what to listen for :D Chicks peeping loudly are NOT happy chicks.

Dh, and grandson went to the little store yesterday evening.
:eek: That is JUST TOO SCARY!

We are down to one strip of ice in the shadows of the back porch and then it too will be gone and I hope the worst of winter behind us.
Our parking area is a sheet of ice under not much snow. I chose not to move any snow yesterday since it was only an inch or two. But we are supposed to get another 4+ tonight through tomorrow. Hopefully the garden tractor won't get stuck on the ice.

We have been busy scoping out trees, dealing with brush down by the pond (and I have the scratches on my hands to prove it!, LOL) and generally coming out of hibernation and ready for spring.
I was working on an area in a low spot on the property.. had to step over squishy stuff to keep it up, but I managed to get about 20 square feet cleared this morning. It's brush, vines, briars and small Japanese Privet.

Came in sat down, did my taxes, then called TSC.

CHICK ALERT!!!!!!!! Another Lady beat me to the store after calling.. Thank goodness she didn't clear out the lot of them. We had to wait a half an hour before they would serve us so the chicks could settle down. During that time a group of us were there chatting and one told me his RIR were not friendly at all. But but, I wanted some for Charlie.. In the end I got 2 Cinnamon Queen pullets, 2 more Black Sex Link pullets (I loves my Henrietta, a BSL) and 2 Ameraucanas (mixed run). At least this year I'll have more pullets than cockerels... and more variety!
Babies in the house!! 20210304_125737.jpg

I was working on an area in a low spot on the property.. had to step over squishy stuff to keep it up, but I managed to get about 20 square feet cleared this morning. It's brush, vines, briars and small Japanese Privet.

CHICK ALERT!!!!!!!! Another Lady beat me to the store after calling.. Thank goodness she didn't clear out the lot of them. We had to wait a half an hour before they would serve us so the chicks could settle down. During that time a group of us were there chatting and one told me his RIR were not friendly at all. But but, I wanted some for Charlie.. In the end I got 2 Cinnamon Queen pullets, 2 more Black Sex Link pullets (I loves my Henrietta, a BSL) and 2 Ameraucanas (mixed run). At least this year I'll have more pullets than cockerels... and more variety!
Babies in the house!!View attachment 2554782
Nice!

Did you buy them as pullets or straight run?

Grrrrrrrrrr... so I drive into town.. they say 'after lunch' on the phone.. I get there no chicks.. finally talk to the supervisor and she says they got an email yesterday saying the shipment was delayed and doesn't know for how long. TSC needs to get their head out of their collective 'places'.
We have chicks in two different places here in town now. Our TSC is in the next town over, they have them too.

Babies in the house!!View attachment 2554782
My RIR's have been more often than not, friendly. Cinnamon Queens, or red sex links as I call them, are the friendliest! Watch where you step when you go around then, they squat for you pretty often, unexpectedly. Don't trip. ;)

One of my little pullets started squatting every time I opened the pen door to give them feed or treats.. It was hilarious. She's a cross between a BSL daddy and her mom is Black Silkie x (Black Astrolorp x Svort Hona). She's as friendly as all get out.. She's now in with Prince and Mara. I'm so thankful the three of them get along like peas in a pod.

Her other sister from Henri (BR) x Another hen of the same breeding, is just a little bully which surprises me to no end. She's in a pen all by herself until she can learn to behave, if she ever does.

Dh, and grandson went to the little store yesterday evening. Dh noticed there seemed to be quite a few cars, but didn't really think anything of it. They both had opened their car doors to go inside, when all heck broke loose.

A big pick up truck came flying into the parking lot, hitting one of the first cars near the entrance. The hit car, slammed into another one. The truck proceeded further, hitting more cars, causing a sort of domino effect. By the time the truck hit the second vehicle, a bunch of cars, sirens blaring and lights flashing, came pouring in, right behind it. In the parking lot, some of the vehicles began turning on their lights, and sirens. This is all happening quickly.

As the truck proceeded, my grandson saw as it approached, and by the time it was only a few feet away from him, he had already sprung into action. He had opened the car door, and dove into the far side away from where the truck would hit the car, onto the back seat. Dh jumped back in the car too, away from the side the oncoming truck would hit.

Fortunately, as the truck neared the car, it swerved, hitting a car on the opposite side. It hit 2 more cars, before it sped out of the parking lot. More, and more cars with lights, and sirens came pouring in, chasing the truck. A couple of the cars with lights, and sirens stopped, and began asking people if they were ok, then asking people not to leave. Shortly deputies began showing up, taking statements from everyone.

Several of the deputies knew Dh, and explained that they had just done a drug bust, and this guy managed to get away. That explained all the unmarked cars, and plain clothes deputies. The truck driver had hit quite a few vehicles before he got to the little store.

When the truck left the little store parking lot, it proceeded down the road further, leaving more crashed cars in it's wake. The truck sustained enough damage, it wouldn't go any further, so the guy jumped out. He ran, and hid in the woods. The helicopters pinned his location, and they were able to arrest the guy.
So glad your family got out of there safe and sound. And glad they caught the idiot.

Back
Top Bottom