I have THREE boxes of chicken eggs being delivered today, so I'm like a kid on Christmas. My incubator finally got it's life together last night after hubby fixed it for me, so I think I'm going to have about 80 eggs incubating at once. My one serama hen decided to go broody yesterday, so I'll probably give her a few of my eggs to sit on. When I thought my incubator was down, I went out and had a talk with the chickens. I told them that normally they aren't allowed to go broody, but if anyone wanted to, they'd receive a one time pass from me. Apparently the serama took that to heart.

I know it's freezing and snowing in a lot of northern places, but here in FL it's garden prep time! I have a large raised garden, but I'm finally trying to do an in ground garden this year. I tilled up a 20ish x 40ish plot next to my blueberries, and just had a big load of mushroom compost delivered this morning. Now I need to till that in and add some other amendments and hope for the best this spring. I really want to grow sweet corn and watermelon. I can do bush varieties of watermelon in my raised beds, but corn hasn't ever worked well in the past. We'll see how it goes.

IMG_1311.jpeg

IMG_1312.jpeg

What a pretty place. Hope all your work pays off and you have a wonderful garden. Do you grow strawberries? About time to get Fl. Strawberries In around here.

Thanks! And yes I do have strawberries. The two green stacked containers that are sitting in between the blueberries are strawberry planters. I had a couple of ripe ones yesterday, but my god daughters stopped by in the evening and they were dying to pick them. But I'm anxious to taste them!

I have THREE boxes of chicken eggs being delivered today, so I'm like a kid on Christmas. My incubator finally got it's life together last night after hubby fixed it for me, so I think I'm going to have about 80 eggs incubating at once. My one serama hen decided to go broody yesterday, so I'll probably give her a few of my eggs to sit on. When I thought my incubator was down, I went out and had a talk with the chickens. I told them that normally they aren't allowed to go broody, but if anyone wanted to, they'd receive a one time pass from me. Apparently the serama took that to heart.

I know it's freezing and snowing in a lot of northern places, but here in FL it's garden prep time! I have a large raised garden, but I'm finally trying to do an in ground garden this year. I tilled up a 20ish x 40ish plot next to my blueberries, and just had a big load of mushroom compost delivered this morning. Now I need to till that in and add some other amendments and hope for the best this spring. I really want to grow sweet corn and watermelon. I can do bush varieties of watermelon in my raised beds, but corn hasn't ever worked well in the past. We'll see how it goes.

View attachment 2009026

View attachment 2009025
I love your set up it looks nice and warm there oh how I miss FL.

Back
Top Bottom