Me too Chris. I would not do this unless I knew they were going to be cared for afterward. Too many duckling now already bought from TSC that are beginning to lose their appeal because they are bought on impulse. Kids need to learn that there is a lot more to caring for animals than watching them hatch or be born. The responsibility is for the life of the animal or bird.
I know this second lady has done hatching eggs a few times. If they have a place to go I'm not sure, but I'l offer to take them back. Actually, offering to take them back gave me an idea...

I was thinking of changing my ad to mention 50% off for teachers, and I'd take thre chicks back for $1 per bird. That would give me $2 for the egg in general (my asking price). The teachers wouldn't have to worry about what to do with them, and I can still list the ducklings for sale, like $3-4 each totaling $5-6 per bird sold that way.... Any thoughts on that thought?

I made an elevated dirt bath for the 55F pin. There current bath is bigger, and holds 3 birds, but they look like they're getting a bit crowded. I made it elevated to help expand their walking area some. Besides the ramps it's all just scrap wood from thre current project.

20200309_125530.jpg
20200309_125542.jpg
20200309_125558.jpg

Birtha has started squating! Her general health looks too be doing good to. Legs are strong, and her breathing is doing better (was labored a few days). I thought I was going to need to harvest her, but she seems to be doing pretty darn good. She's got to be around 6 months old now. Hopefully the big girl has stopped growing. Pei sure she thinks she's a bantam too lol. 🥰
20200309_080407.jpg

I know this second lady has done hatching eggs a few times. If they have a place to go I'm not sure, but I'l offer to take them back. Actually, offering to take them back gave me an idea...

I was thinking of changing my ad to mention 50% off for teachers, and I'd take thre chicks back for $1 per bird. That would give me $2 for the egg in general (my asking price). The teachers wouldn't have to worry about what to do with them, and I can still list the ducklings for sale, like $3-4 each totaling $5-6 per bird sold that way.... Any thoughts on that thought?

So wait, you would charge them a dollar per egg? And then a dollar per bird to take them back after hatch? I guess i'm confused.

So wait, you would charge them a dollar per egg? And then a dollar per bird to take them back after hatch? I guess i'm confused.
You are not confused. My normal price is $2ea. So yes, charge teachers $1ea, then another $1 to bring the bird back, giving me $2 total per duckling returned. Then sell the ducklings. I said $3-4 per bird before, but I'd likely quarantine them, increasing their age and sell value. Maybe $5-8 for 5-6 week old barnyard mix ducklings.

You are not confused. My normal price is $2ea. So yes, charge teachers $1ea, then another $1 to bring the bird back, giving me $2 total per duckling returned. Then sell the ducklings. I said $3-4 per bird before, but I'd likely quarantine them, increasing their age and sell value. Maybe $5-8 for 5-6 week old barnyard mix ducklings.

Ah, okay! So would they HAVE to bring the chicks/ducks back to you? I'd be afraid that by charging them again to take them back, they may just say "eh, I'll find someone else to take them for free" so they don't have to spend any more than necessary. Then they end up who knows where.

At my son's school they did a chick hatch one year (not in his class, though.) There is a family at the school that has a fairly large poultry farm/market garden and farm-to-table type restaurant, so they took the chicks to be used as egg layers. Maybe they could find some farm families that would like new spring chicks/ducks?

Maybe we are both confused!

giphy.gif
Ah, okay! So would they HAVE to bring the chicks/ducks back to you?
It wouldn't be contingent on the sale, just an option with a small convenience fee. Patti briefly touched on teachers not being prepared with homes, this gives them an option to just bring them back. If they choose to do a free rehoming, that would be prefered, but if I'm going to quarantine/feed/grow out & rehome the ducklings for them (yes at a profit) then I think $1 per bird is fair.
At my son's school they did a chick hatch one year (not in his class, though.) There is a family at the school that has a fairly large poultry farm/market garden and farm-to-table type restaurant, so they took the chicks to be used as egg layers. Maybe they could find some farm families that would like new spring chicks/ducks?
The teachers I've dealt with have been from my craigslist's ad, not my son's school. I think it would be great if they have that option, but that would be up to them to plan out.
they don't have to spend any more than necessary
They get the egg half off, and pay the other half to return the hatchling. Currently I'm in the hole for $48 with "selling" eggs, and agreed to take 1 batch back as my own responsibility. I'm just trying to find a good middle ground for everyone. I still get paid and they don't have to stress rehoming babies. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom