Aren't they like a big guinea pig? Or prairie dog? Just so you know, the americans I have met in the flesh use to eat prairie dogs.
No, they are coarse haired with a low center of gravity. They are loaded with ticks and fleas.

Prairie dogs are like fat squirrels, kind of.
Ground hogs are not the cute creatures the movies show.

Last edited:
I have Peking ducks that swim in a 5' diameter 18" deep kiddie pond, even in the winter. My Silkie hens have been getting into the pond and nearly freezing, but I got them out in time and dried them off and warmed them up and they are fine now. I had to empty the pond to protect them so the ducks now only have a small 10" deep container to use for eating and cleaning their feathers.
I want to have the pond for them this spring thru fall. What can I do to protect the chickens from the pond but still allow the ducks free use of the pond?

I have Peking ducks that swim in a 5' diameter 18" deep kiddie pond, even in the winter. My Silkie hens have been getting into the pond and nearly freezing, but I got them out in time and dried them off and warmed them up and they are fine now. I had to empty the pond to protect them so the ducks now only have a small 10" deep container to use for eating and cleaning their feathers.
I want to have the pond for them this spring thru fall. What can I do to protect the chickens from the pond but still allow the ducks free use of the pond?

El Paso has winter?

I find it’s best to keep the chickens and et the dux.. :lau :lau :lau :lau

Hey! My ducks and chickens all live together and the pond doesn't effect my chooks at all. They seem to steer clear of it. Only adjustment I made was to fence off the chickens waterer(high enough to keep ducks out but low enough for the chooks to hop over) because the ducks can easily empty a 50 litre water tank in a day (we have a 50litre water tank connected to a small trough bowl for the chickens) and then that's when it's an issue for getting wet chooks. Ducks will make a muck of any and all water they can reach so for me this was the easiest solution. Just because my ducks don't mind drinking dirty water, doesn't mean my chickens should have to.

Back
Top Bottom