I was wondering the same thing. I know in the wild a Mallard Drake can help a Hen with the babies as our bus drivers saw that this spring when they were all crossing the road, Hen in the front, babies in the middle and Drake at the end. When two got hit by a car Drake kept flying circling them trying to get them to get up. I was amazed to see that. I have seen a Mallard Hen alone with her ducklings so this is not always the case. I was amazed to see that Tom Turkey be so attentive to those baby turkeys.
What kind of reckless drive wouldn't stop for little ducklings? [censored] 😡

It's hot here already and still no rain until tomorrow. Got all of my sand moved yesterday and now I have to put more wood shavings in and water and feed. I am thinking about letting my Runner Ducks in with the other gals now that I have all of the drakes separated. They seem so happy to be just by themselves but I could use their pen for my one bad drake that is now where the hens like to lay in another pen by himself. At least he could see the Mafia boys and they would not be able to beat him up. lol Those little buggers are so rotten.
Sand??

Happy Saturday to Everybody!

Enjoy your weekend as long as it lasts! - Next week will be a long one but then we will have another long weekend - in the U.S. that is…

Uploading Buffzilla Videos, more on that later. - If you have subscribed to my YT channel you should have been notified already…

She is driving me nuts: This morning i had to herd four ducklings back inside, catch them and give them a lift.
Then serving breakfast and pool. Then Buffzilla left the ducklings alone and i quickly ran into the duck-house, candled the eggs, left 16 in the nest that show development and removed the rest.
Then i had to clean up all the wet, poopy straw from the ducklings and replace it with fresh straw.
Thinking about a ramp for the ducklings now…

:th

What kind of reckless drive wouldn't stop for little ducklings? [censored] 😡
They did not do it on purpose and the people in the vehicle did not see the one. As a bus driver we sit up so high that by the time one of our drivers saw what was going on as she was behind the car that hit the first one, she actually got one too. The drivers that saw it cried and said " Better not tell Debbie, (Me), She'll never talk to You again!!" I know it was an accident though and things happen. If she had done it on purpose your darn straight I would never have talked to her again. She had cried also and felt absolutely terrible. They came out of nowhere and it was an accident.

Yes Sand. I buy it by the ton and have to move it and shovel it into my huge pen. I got it all covered yesterday with a nice layer over the old. I have never had any foot problems and the ducks love it. So far in the past three years I have put down 6 tons. Hubby is afraid I am going to do away with the swell in our yard because the pen is up next to our house and that was where the swell was. I put it there for their protection and it has worked well for me and them. I don't worry about the swell. He thinks someday I will have to remove some of it but I am older than him and by that time I think it might be just his problem and I will be in a better place not worrying about it. lol

Yes Sand. I buy it by the ton and have to move it and shovel it into my huge pen. I got it all covered yesterday with a nice layer over the old. I have never had any foot problems and the ducks love it. So far in the past three years I have put down 6 tons. Hubby is afraid I am going to do away with the swell in our yard because the pen is up next to our house and that was where the swell was. I put it there for their protection and it has worked well for me and them. I don't worry about the swell. He thinks someday I will have to remove some of it but I am older than him and by that time I think it might be just his problem and I will be in a better place not worrying about it. lol
Ah, yes, i forgot, Chickens scratch and dig holes in the ground. For my ducks i use wood-chips in the run which nicely soak up all the wet 💩 and then turn into wonderful garden soils in a couple of months.
I could use tons of sand too, though. To mix with my heavy clay soil and make it easier to dig over. Unfortunately i have a small bridge at the bottom of my driveway that is too small for a dump truck and can only take 12000lbs (~5½ tons) of weight. No company here would deliver such small loads of sand. 😧

Ah, yes, i forgot, Chickens scratch and dig holes in the ground. For my ducks i use wood-chips in the run which nicely soak up all the wet 💩 and then turn into wonderful garden soils in a couple of months.
I could use tons of sand too, though. To mix with my heavy clay soil and make it easier to dig over. Unfortunately i have a small bridge at the bottom of my driveway that is too small for a dump truck and can only take 12000lbs (~5½ tons) of weight. No company here would deliver such small loads of sand. 😧
Have you ever had any cases of bumble foot? I was worried the wood chips would be hard on their feet. We have heavy clay also and I just put it on top of it. We have a local hardware store that can deliver up to 4 tons for me. I usually only get two at at time but was having a brain cloud and ordered 4 last year so I had 2 left over for this year to get moved. I put it on a trampoline tarp that my son had given me from his broken trampoline and them cover it with tarps that I have bought. We have a gravel driveway and overhead power lines so I too have to have a small truck for delivery otherwise they could not get it to where I would need it. You are in WV right?

Chickens play tennis?! - I did not know that. My ducks only play surfboard, pool-float and pool-noodle. 😉
No tennis playing in this court. Very coomon in Aust for the old tennis courts of farms to be converted to chicken runs. Not sure anyone use to play tennis back in the day, was more of a social status to have a tennis court

Back
Top Bottom