Hey! Just busy... Some old people in the mirror problems, some house problems, taking care of everything, getting ready with the incubator.

One wing of the garage has now been made mouse-proof, and as a consequence, fox-, weasel-, polecat- etc proof so it can house ducklings when they are little.

It's nice to be remembered, especially when alive :)
How do you make a room mouse-proof? - I like to evict the mice from my garage (too much stuff in there!) , but i cannot let the dux in there. They would sell of my tool for meal-worms…
I am trying my best not to keep any dux-food in the bags and pour it into plastic trash-cans, keeping the floor as clean as possible, deploy mouse-traps - but they are still coming. :mad:

How do you make a room mouse-proof? - I like to evict the mice from my garage (too much stuff in there!) , but i cannot let the dux in there. They would sell of my tool for meal-worms…
I am trying my best not to keep any dux-food in the bags and pour it into plastic trash-cans, keeping the floor as clean as possible, deploy mouse-traps - but they are still coming. :mad:
I would use metal trash cans to put the feed in myself as those pesty varmits can chew through plastic if they want the feed bad enough. We use those plug in devices that keep mice at bay and have never had any in our garage. I keep the feed in our computer room in the original bags and usually have about 250 pounds in there at a time for my 15, soon to be 17 ducks. That is what works for me but I know you have a lot more ducks than I have Frank. Our garage is also attached to our house. I don't know if that makes a difference or not and the house is 24 years old built by my hubby.

I wonder what is the most goslings that a goose can hatch out???? I thought they only hatched out two or three, silly me.
If you have a flock of geese, they start something that is called gang-brooding. The whole family takes care of all the goslings and all goslings from all mothers form a large raft, huddling together.
How many goslings can a single goose hatch? Idk. But they are large birbs. Many eggs fit under a goose…

i don’t know the hatch rate is maybe 60% from what i remember reading. therefore 6 eggs might get you 4 goslings?
also I know that they lay one every other day, and after 14 days the chance of an egg being viable is slim so hopefully she stops and sits after egg 7 ? But this morning I thought I heard her say , “one more day.” meaning today is her last day walking around around eating as much grass as possible to prepare for a month of very little walking around and eating
Thanks for the info. I had no idea as I have never had a goose before, just a Mule duck as big as one, lol.

I would use metal trash cans to put the feed in myself as those pesty varmits can chew through plastic if they want the feed bad enough. We use those plug in devices that keep mice at bay and have never had any in our garage. I keep the feed in our computer room in the original bags and usually have about 250 pounds in there at a time for my 15, soon to be 17 ducks. That is what works for me but I know you have a lot more ducks than I have Frank. Our garage is also attached to our house. I don't know if that makes a difference or not and the house is 24 years old built by my hubby.
It is a financial decision: They haven't gnawed through any of the plastic cans, but they have squeezed through under the lid of a cheap plastic trash-can and i am sure they would do the same thing with the cheap metal-cans too. So i spend a little more money on plastic-cans with good lids and those are still more affordable than even the cheapest metal can…
I could fill up the whole garage with CO2 (and make it even warmer in West Virginia 😈) but then all those dead mice would start to rot in their hiding places and stink…
Maybe ultra-sound will drive them off?
My garage is attached to the house too and occasionally one of the mouses makes it into the house, but that's rare.

If you have a flock of geese, they start something that is called gang-brooding. The whole family takes care of all the goslings and all goslings from all mothers form a large raft, huddling together.
How many goslings can a single goose hatch? Idk. But they are large birbs. Many eggs fit under a goose…
Thanks so much Frank for sharing that most interesting facts about Geese. I would have never of guessed that is how they are taken care of when there are several of them.

It is a financial decision: They haven't gnawed through any of the plastic cans, but they have squeezed through under the lid of a cheap plastic trash-can and i am sure they would do the same thing with the cheap metal-cans too. So i spend a little more money on plastic-cans with good lids and those are still more affordable than even the cheapest metal can…
I could fill up the whole garage with CO2 (and make it even warmer in West Virginia 😈) but then all those dead mice would start to rot in their hiding places and stink…
Maybe ultra-sound will drive them off?
My garage is attached to the house too and occasionally one of the mouses makes it into the house, but that's rare.
I would try the ultra-sound myself as it works for me. I get mine from Rural King and they are not that expensive. You are right, metal trash cans used to be a lot cheaper than they are nowadays. I can see why you have used the plastic ones. Some people use the 5 gallon bucket with water in it and some device at the top that they put peanut butter on to drown mice too. My Son has used that in his garage before and caught some.

I would try the ultra-sound myself as it works for me. I get mine from Rural King and they are not that expensive. You are right, metal trash cans used to be a lot cheaper than they are nowadays. I can see why you have used the plastic ones. Some people use the 5 gallon bucket with water in it and some device at the top that they put peanut butter on to drown mice too. My Son has used that in his garage before and caught some.
I am using these traps, baited with peanut-butter or cat food:
1711479091822.png

I have to dispose a dead mouse every two to three days but they keep coming. Buckets? I don't event have to bait the buckets, they just fall in on occasion. Same with cardboard boxes - i'm collecting the recyclables in the garage too.
I hope all will be better next week, when i evict the dux from the gardens and open up the whole property again for them. - Including their pond. Hopefully they will continue to lay their eggs in the house...

I am using these traps, baited with peanut-butter or cat food:
View attachment 3782567
I have to dispose a dead mouse every two to three days but they keep coming. Buckets? I don't event have to bait the buckets, they just fall in on occasion. Same with cardboard boxes - i'm collecting the recyclables in the garage too.
I hope all will be better next week, when i evict the dux from the gardens and open up the whole property again for them. - Including their pond. Hopefully they will continue to lay their eggs in the house...
Mine lay their eggs wherever they want unless they feel the need to make a nest. Then they will pile 20 or more in one spot, lol. Some of mine are laying in places but others lay on the ground. Good luck with yours using the house for their eggs. I hope that works well for you.

Back
Top Bottom