The Rhodebar thread!

I tried hatching some Rhodebar eggs without any success. This isn't my first time incubating eggs, but I'm going to take a rest. I stay very frustrated at Austin USPS. If you want to test how well your eggs are packaged, send them thru Austin, TX. If they survive that, they'll survive anywhere!

Does anyone know of anyone in the Austin area (or Texas for that matter) that raises Rhodebars?? I'm hoping to buy some chicks. Might try hatching eggs too. I trust my shipping/handling skills more.

Any info would be great! You can send me a PM if you know anyone.

Thanks!

Evan

One of the girls who may work well under one of the Rhodebar cockerels this coming breeding season for my F1 crosses. She is 14 weeks old, but I think her excellent type will really help the Rhodebars.
She is actually much darker than she appears in the pic... it was raining out, so I was using a flash.

I have 4 rhodebar chicks from GFF. i recently shared shipping with a friend, intending to only add cream legbar chicks, but i ended up taking the rhodebar to my house to brood for a few weeks. my friend offered to sell me some of the rhodebars chicks and I didn't say no. I have been involved with Cream legbar for about 18 months. I have 3 generations of them. I was interested in the rhodebars because of the auto sexing and the connection to the Rhode Island Red. So I have 7 new CLB chicks and 4 rhodebars, so thrilled but thinking I need yet another coop.

Well, I have a pair of rhodebars plus 15 eggs that came from breeders that the guy got directly from greenfire. Some of his rhodebars lay green eggs. He said he has 3 out of about 16 hens that lay green and they were directly from greenfire. I know I have seen posts of other people who have had green egg laying hens direct from greenfire. Has anyone ever figured out why? I know greenfire has told him they are pure and there was no poor management on their part. I am just curious just in case the pair I got lay green eggs. I did buy a dozen brown eggs from him plus he threw in 3 of the greens. Thoughts?

Well, I have a pair of rhodebars plus 15 eggs that came from breeders that the guy got directly from greenfire. Some of his rhodebars lay green eggs. He said he has 3 out of about 16 hens that lay green and they were directly from greenfire. I know I have seen posts of other people who have had green egg laying hens direct from greenfire. Has anyone ever figured out why? I know greenfire has told him they are pure and there was no poor management on their part. I am just curious just in case the pair I got lay green eggs. I did buy a dozen brown eggs from him plus he threw in 3 of the greens. Thoughts?
I would think that somewhere along the way some green egg laying traits got in there.

Mitch

I live in Ireland and we dont have any Rhodebars here and would love to create the breed fom scratch!! Just wondering do I have to add any other breed apart from RIR and BR to the project??

The Blue egg gene does not just manifest itself in Brown egg layers. How they have green egg layers will never be figured out, only suspicions. If they lay green eggs I would not consider them Rhodebar as the standard clearly states brown eggs, but that does not mean you don't have some nice auto-sexing chickens that lay colorful eggs, but I would not sell them or breed them as Rhodebars until you have bred the blue gene out. The hard part with that is you will not know which roosters are carrying the gene until their offspring lay.

Sheri I am still really liking purple. The unbanded cockerels look a lot more like my Rhodie.

Penny
Are you still thinking Rhodie may be single barred? The single barred roos I've seen are much darker than the last pic I saw of Rhodie...
Just curious as I am wanting to track color on my boys and make sure I have what I think I have (or not LOL)

Back
Top Bottom