The same old problem: pekin duck struggling to walk

EvaluationUnit

Songster
Aug 8, 2020
Hi there,

Me again, with the pekin ducks that mysteriously cannot walk. My two year old girl is now struggling to walk. She started about a year ago with a limp and after visit to the vet, xrays saying she's perfectly fine, and carprofen that did nothing, she's gradually gotten worse. Now she can't operate the grandpa feeder and walks with assistance from her wings.

No physical issue - her legs and feet look fine, and she does still stand and try to walk. I have noticed that she has gone from being relatively straight-legged to crossing her legs over one another. I have been giving her 3 mL oral injections of poultry cell every other day for about two months now, and I'm not sure I see any difference. She's laying eggs, and is in high spirits despite this inability to walk well. None of my other (smaller breed) ducks have any problem, including my 3 year old KCs. They're all eating the normal offering of grow and show pellet (with some brewer's yeast) and their oyster shells if they want them, plus the occasional treats.

Any ideas? I have thought niacin deficiency but with the poultry cell I thought she'd at least recover a little if that was the case. Does poultry cell not have enough niacin for a duck of this size to see a noteable improvement?

Have you ever tried liquid B complex TSC carries a good one and if a niacin def [especially with you seeing her legs crossing now] I'd give her some starting with 1 ml daily and doing it for at least 2 weeks or more to see if it helps. It will say injectable but we mostly give it orally over a special treat. Many that have had ducks with niacin deficiencies have used the liquid B complex and it has helped them get over it. At least doing this you can rule out niacin def.
I know nothing about Poultry cell but it should say on the bottle how much niacin is in it.
some info https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

Last edited:
This may be what I call meat bird syndrome. Perkins are bred to be fat. Sometimes they get too fat for their legs to hold. Hopefully someone will come up with something else. This is genetic and there is nothing you can do.

This may be what I call meat bird syndrome. Perkins are bred to be fat. Sometimes they get too fat for their legs to hold. Hopefully someone will come up with something else. This is genetic and there is nothing you can do.
This is why pekins need so much niacin in their diet. A boost could help strengthen her legs, and if she overweight then she could be put on a diet/free ranged depending on how bad it has gotten

Have you ever tried liquid B complex TSC carries a good one and if a niacin def [especially with you seeing her legs crossing now] I'd give her some starting with 1 ml daily and doing it for at least 2 weeks or more to see if it helps. It will say injectable but we mostly give it orally over a special treat. Many that have had ducks with niacin deficiencies have used the liquid B complex and it has helped them get over it. At least doing this you can rule out niacin def.
I know nothing about Poultry cell but it should say on the bottle how much niacin is in it.
some info https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
The poultry cell supplement reports a guaranteed analysis of 50 mg per fl oz. I just did the math and that would mean she's only getting an extra 1.7 mg every day I do this (I had thought there was more!) so I think you're right and I will try picking up some liquid B complex. I'm using up the remainder of some poly-vi-sol at the moment which will give her at least 8 mg per dosage. I didn't realize the poultry cell was so low!

Last edited:
I would hate that you're likely right, although she's around 7-8 lbs so I don't think she's very overweight if at all. Although she's been less active with her troubles walking, so it's possible she's gained since she was last weighed. She sure does try and give her very best effort though, the poor girl.

I do think this is the way to go for now, if it is a niacin deficiency the Liquid B complex should help, it may take a while since this isn't a new problem but it's def worth trying. Please keep us updated.
The only liquid B complex I can find at TSC is Rooster Booster, and it doesn't list niacin in the ingredients. Is there another one or a different way I should be searching?

Back
Top Bottom