Ugh, I've read about Orpingtons going up to 29 weeks before an egg, and I look away. Wonder when. How old are they now? (orpington and sex link).
They are 5 1/2 months. (So 23ish weeks) I have one cochin bantam that is 2 weeks younger than them and has given me a tiny egg every day for the past four days. 🤷

My bantam earning her keep. Of course she won't use the nice nesting box right beside her...
And the tiny egg she gives me each day.
20201020_104024.jpg
20201016_104743.jpg

We got our first egg! A nice brown color, unfortunately it was frozen and cracked because I was not anticipating it. But that feeling is so fun! On of my hens these past few weeks really matured quickly, huge red combs, intense squatting, and then I find this! —

Also, tips on the freezing and the eggs? I’ll start collecting more frequently now that I know there is one laying.
3EA5B93A-EF2D-4D77-94BA-45AF505EBC80.jpeg

Congrats on the egg. My 3 hens started the first week of December. Except one of my hen decided to drop her eggs on my hill. Went looking to see where she was hiding, came back to that spot later to night and discovered 10 eggs in a nest she made inside a bush on the hill.

I have 6 BO pullets at age 18 weeks. About three are scrawnier, with bright red waddles that have developed quite a bit, and do a squat when I pet them sometimes. The others are bigger pullets, and from my understanding, won’t be as good of egg layers. Any tips/prep, things I should be doing, feed recommendations? They are on 20% right now, and I’m waiting to drop it to an egg laying feed when they actually start. They get lots of healthy snacks as well as corn for the cold winters. This is my first time and I’m so excited! Er egg-cited I should say! ..wow that was horrible, anyways thanks!

David
From what I understand EE can take awhile to lay. Just ask @CluckingCrazyCoop . She waited about 30 weeks!

Back
Top Bottom