The Welsummer Thread!!!!

I sold both Welsummer and BCM chicks this year and both are extremely popular here in PA. I sold more Wellies because of being able to sex the chicks, but the BCM's were more profitable for exactly that reason (I sold them all of the same price, but the Wellie cockerels were given away or culled, whereas most of the BCM cockerels were sold as straight-run chicks). I sold every Wellie pullet I was able to hatch, but had to stop setting BCM's because the demand dropped off. I really have no idea why anyone would buy BCM chicks if they could get Wellie pullets for the same price, but some people did! I don't care that much for BCM's and would sell them all off except I like being able to supply them to local buyers because they are just not available anywhere else. Good quality (non-hatchery) Wellies are just as rare around here.

My stock of both breeds came from Whitmore Farms. I also have their BBS Ameraucanas. I think all are decent quality and value, and would recommend buying from them because they ship chicks and are far better than any commercial hatchery. They seem to be representative for their breeds, but I don't show and haven't even read the SOP for these breeds. None of these 3 breeds have been stellar layers (our Rhodebars and "barnyard mixes" lay about twice as well), but they pay their way because of their popularity as chicks.
What do BCM and BBS stand for? I'm new. TIA.

Good to know! My Marans cockerel can be obnoxious and of course he is showing aggressiveness.

Do you ship hatching eggs (for future reference)?

JulesChicks, I believe that you and I got chicks from the same breeder. One thing of interest I am noting as my birds mature is that, while the pullets are still bossy and sometimes bullies to the Ams, they are starting to mellow at the 5 month mark. They are also suddenly very interested in me, and are now quite friendly whereas up to a month ago they were a bit shy. In fact, yesterday I had a pullet who was very interested in sitting in my lap when I took a rest in the yard with them.

I am also very pleased with my young Welsummer cockerel. He is still young, of course, but is proving himself to be a super watchdog for the whole flock. He is always on the watch, and is very good for sending the pullets scurrying if he spies a hawk or raven or dog he doesn't know, while he stands at guard. He is also feeding the pullets whenever he finds something tasty and allows them to take whatever he calls them to eat. He is respectful to me and has not yet shown any aggression, but I have been pretty good at setting those boundaries from an early age. These are all traits I value, especially as I free range my birds in electric netting and have lots of predators. So while he may not have perfect points on his comb (and no stubs that I have found) he is providing early evidence that he will be a good guardian for my little flock of Wellies.

I would love to get some quality welsummers. Can anyone recommend a good breeder or tell me where I can find a list of breeders?

So, I've been researching my little heart out, trying to decide what breeds to specialize in, and I think what I really want is a rainbow egg basket AND a focus on Wellies. Fair enough. Questions:

1. Do Wellies get along well with Ameraucanas, in your experience (if you have both)?

2. I would keep only a Wellie rooster, since I don't want to breed purebred Amer's. Is the blue gene dominant if I raised Wellie/Amer crosses as mutts?

3. Does anyone here who is breeding/selling Wellie eggs from a great line breed IN broodiness? I would prefer broody hens, overall. CAN one make that a breeding focus, or is it entirely hit and miss?

4. Since LF Wellies do not generally go broody, or so I understand, would getting a few bantam Wellies in the hopes that they'd go broody make sense?

5. If so, what would happen to the bantams if the LF Wellie cock that I would raise bred them... Just larger Wellies?

This is a great thread! I look forward to your replies!

JulesChicks, I believe that you and I got chicks from the same breeder. One thing of interest I am noting as my birds mature is that, while the pullets are still bossy and sometimes bullies to the Ams, they are starting to mellow at the 5 month mark. They are also suddenly very interested in me, and are now quite friendly whereas up to a month ago they were a bit shy. In fact, yesterday I had a pullet who was very interested in sitting in my lap when I took a rest in the yard with them.

I am also very pleased with my young Welsummer cockerel. He is still young, of course, but is proving himself to be a super watchdog for the whole flock. He is always on the watch, and is very good for sending the pullets scurrying if he spies a hawk or raven or dog he doesn't know, while he stands at guard. He is also feeding the pullets whenever he finds something tasty and allows them to take whatever he calls them to eat. He is respectful to me and has not yet shown any aggression, but I have been pretty good at setting those boundaries from an early age. These are all traits I value, especially as I free range my birds in electric netting and have lots of predators. So while he may not have perfect points on his comb (and no stubs that I have found) he is providing early evidence that he will be a good guardian for my little flock of Wellies.

He is gorgeous!! From what I am hearing about Wellie roos and what I am experiencing with my Marans roos, I WISH I had not gotten any of the Marans cockerels (though they were straight run!) and I had gotten at least one Wellie boy (though I selected against it) :( So happy for you that you are having a good experience with him!

Back
Top Bottom