The Welsummer Thread!!!!

The lady I got this one from thought it might be a Welsummer. I just wanted to see what you all think? Also, any guess as to age and sex? I am brand new (as of 2 weeks ago) to chickens. Thanks in advance!

97609_dsc03421.jpg

97609_dsc03422.jpg

Quote:
smile.png
If you visit a Chicken Show @ a Fair or just a Show-you will see that there are a few breeds that resemble Welsummers. I don't think yours is one~you can only be certain to get pure line of Welsummer from a Breeder. But yours is very pretty.
cool.png

Thanks for getting back to me. I wonder what s/he is? I also got 2 easter eggers from her. They seem to be bigger and more mature than this one, although she said they were all 6 months old. I do love all my birds already. They are so much fun! Hehehe I think I might be obsessed!
smile.png

Quote:
Hi!
She might could be a Welsummer, can't really tell by these photos, the color of her egg will be the tell all. I can say that she is not 6 months old, I would venture to say that she may be closer to 4 mos. old, maybe even possibly pushing 5 mos. old but I am leaning toward 4 mos. Enjoy her and let us know when she starts laying, she is a pretty girl.
smile.png

Quote:
Hi!
She might could be a Welsummer, can't really tell by these photos, the color of her egg will be the tell all. I can say that she is not 6 months old, I would venture to say that she may be closer to 4 mos. old, maybe even possibly pushing 5 mos. old but I am leaning toward 4 mos. Enjoy her and let us know when she starts laying, she is a pretty girl.
smile.png

Agree with Kim, she may be a welsummer, although her hackle feathers look a bit light. I don't think she's a brown leghorn, I'd think her comb would be bigger by now if she was.

And I also agree, she looks about 4 months old.

OK so based on the responses, should I still be feeding her grower feed? I have been giving her layer mash because her original owner said she was 6 months old. Thanks again for the timely replies. I absolutely love this little chicken. She will fly up on my shoulders if I let her. She has become my little pal.
smile.png

I agree with Kim and HappyChooks, keep her on the grower until she lays her first egg. By then you would be determined whether or not she is a Welsummer. I am certain she is probably of a Hatchery bird because of the barring pattern and very light. I do not see any white earlobes yet.

Enjoy her, she's cute!

Hey guys I just wanted to post a picture of our Wellie rooster. His name was Kevin and he was the best thing ever. He loved to ride on our shoulders and knew his name. I had always wanted a Welsummer and was so excited when I was finally able to have one. He would tease our dog and did a great job protecting the ladies. Sadly, we lost him last year protecting the flock from a bobcat. My husband took it the hardest. Before Kevin my hubby was certain he hated chickens. Now he can't get enough of them. I really want another Wellie but am afraid that's a tall order to fill for any rooster replacing Kevin.

Anywho here he is:
102433_1_059.jpg

Quote:
What a very special rooster Huckle. I am very sorry that he is no longer with you...it's very hard to loose a bird and especially one that was so friendly.
hugs.gif

Since you are so very close to me....if you are ever looking for another Wellie roo just let me know, I can't guarantee the same personality of your Kevin, but they are friendly and I would certainly be more than happy to share one with you.

Back
Top Bottom