The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Hello, I was lurking here and have been reading up on Welsummers for awhile, they seem to have a lot of great qualities.

I believe many of you who post here also have some experience with Marans (any variety). In general, how would you compare the two breeds just for egg productivity, plus overall vigor and longevity? I seem to read many conflicting reports on this, but I realize it can vary greatly by line. I'm interested in both breeds and trying to decide if I need more of a dual-purpose breed like the Marans or possibly a better egg-layer like the Welsummers. The egg color on either is pleasing enough to me so that is not an issue.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge here.
--Terry
Hi Terry, I do have both Welsummers and Black Copper Marans. I would say overall that my Welsummers tend to lay more often than my Marans except during a molt of course. Then either breed seem to take a break from laying, but that's ok because I know after their break the eggs will be darker again so I don't really mind. Both breeds are very active and love to forage around for greens and insects. I would say longevity in my experience would have to go to my Marans for egg production and overall lifespan. They are both fantastic breeds and I would recommend both breeds. I will say just be careful when you are buying either chicks or hatching eggs. You tend to get what you pay for in my experience. Try and find a good breeder who works on SOP as well as eggs color to obtain the results you are looking for. Let's face it, the reason well all get into Marans and Welsummers are those beautiful eggs. But beyond that if you ever decide to show the birds or sell eggs or chicks to those who might wish to show them then you want to pay attention to SOP as well. You can find all sorts of cheap eggs on ebay, but they aren't always good quality stock. Not saying they are all that way by any means but just be careful. I think whichever breed you decide you'll be pleased with them.

Hello, I was lurking here and have been reading up on Welsummers for awhile, they seem to have a lot of great qualities.

I believe many of you who post here also have some experience with Marans (any variety). In general, how would you compare the two breeds just for egg productivity, plus overall vigor and longevity? I seem to read many conflicting reports on this, but I realize it can vary greatly by line. I'm interested in both breeds and trying to decide if I need more of a dual-purpose breed like the Marans or possibly a better egg-layer like the Welsummers. The egg color on either is pleasing enough to me so that is not an issue.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge here.
--Terry

I just wanted to clarify, Welsummers are a dual purpose breed.

Marans have certainly been "tinkered with" a lot more than the welsummers and come in a greater variety of colors. Not that that is necessarily a good thing.

I would say longevity in my experience would have to go to my Marans for egg production and overall lifespan. They are both fantastic breeds and I would recommend both breeds. I will say just be careful when you are buying either chicks or hatching eggs. You tend to get what you pay for in my experience. Try and find a good breeder who works on SOP as well as eggs color to obtain the results you are looking for.
Great to know about the longevity, thank you. I agree completely on the sources, I plan to find a reputable breeder within driving distance if possible so I can avoid shipping, for whichever breed I end up with.

I just wanted to clarify, Welsummers are a dual purpose breed.

Marans have certainly been "tinkered with" a lot more than the welsummers and come in a greater variety of colors. Not that that is necessarily a good thing.
I stand corrected, thank you. I didn't quite think of Welsummers as being as good a meat bird as they are for eggs. There are a few Welsummer breeders not far from me in Upstate NY, which is another reason for my interest here.

I have some Welsummer mixes that are 10 weeks. If they have the greenish sheen in their tail feathers does that mean that they are definitely male? most are mixed with RIR and 2 of them are mixed with Barred Rocker
hmm.png

If those are all 10 weeks old, I'd say you could easily tell the difference between pullets and roos by the combs and waddles. Interesting looking birds! It looks like you have 4 of each.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
If those are all 10 weeks old, I'd say you could easily tell the difference between pullets and roos by the combs and waddles. Interesting looking birds! It looks like you have 4 of each.
big_smile.png

I thinks so too. There are two more 'girls' hiding in the coop. My friend that raises chickens says you can't be sure till they are laying and crowing, but I am pretty confidante the for large ones with combs and wattles are male. They are the meanest too. I will not be sad to cull them when I introduce the younger chicks in the late summer.

I am a new to the whole having chickens scenario, I have made a 3x2x3 run/enclosure for my hens and the have a wonderful chicken coop. At the moment I have four chickens, An araucana (I assumed this as she matches the description closely), A completely white sussex/white star, Wellsummer/rhode island red and a black maran. I am currently getting four different coloured eggs every morning. I am having problem with my wellsummer hybrid. She waits for my other girls to lay, then runs in and sits on them. She the lays her egg, she is ridiculously broody and I heard that this type of chicken doesn't go broody often. When I try and take the eggs I have to move her away, she pecks and sqwauks and her feathers stand on end. Is this normal, I just wondered as I am new to this. Any help with making her less broody? Thanks, theo.

I am a new to the whole having chickens scenario, I have made a 3x2x3 run/enclosure for my hens and the have a wonderful chicken coop. At the moment I have four chickens, An araucana (I assumed this as she matches the description closely), A completely white sussex/white star, Wellsummer/rhode island red and a black maran. I am currently getting four different coloured eggs every morning. I am having problem with my wellsummer hybrid. She waits for my other girls to lay, then runs in and sits on them. She the lays her egg, she is ridiculously broody and I heard that this type of chicken doesn't go broody often. When I try and take the eggs I have to move her away, she pecks and sqwauks and her feathers stand on end. Is this normal, I just wondered as I am new to this. Any help with making her less broody? Thanks, theo.

More run space might help - unless their coop is huge - that run if pretty small for 4 chickens Ideally 4 sq ft per bird coop space and 10 sq ft per bird run space. Maybe if she's busier out in the run she won't be hanging around the nest so much. Gathering eggs 2-3 times per day, and moving her off the nest every time you see her on it might help too. Worst case scenario - get her a few chicks to take care of.

I would like to ask a question of anyone who might be able to answer.

I have a very large Welsummer - she is the biggest bird in my tiny flock, and is quite beautiful with near to perfect ( if not perfect ) markings for a Welsummer. I have not taken a photo of her in recent times, so cannot post one - YET. But will soon I hope.

I live in Victoria, Australia. It is winter here now, and very cold but no snow where I am. I have 3 chickens only at this stage. My Rhode Island Red is not moulting, but did so very heavily in the intense heat late last summer ( Feb / March ). So she is continuing to lay. All chickens ( 5 at that stage ) moulted in that late summer heat.

My Araucana ( Australian breed ) ... is into a heavy moult at this time and of course has stopped laying.

My Welsummer is moulting quite heavily, but is STILL LAYING, almost daily. I am under the impression, from posts I have read here, and also on other sites, that a chicken cannot or will not lay when moulting. Appears they cannot do both at once ???

So - is it normal for a very large chicken to have the capacity and resources to do BOTH at once ? I am not too worried, except that she has had some rather off 'poops' at times ... but she passes an enormous amount of bowel, no matter what consistency it is, when she does it. ! ! ! ! She is one big chicken.

Just asking - if anyone can say they have seen or heard of a chicken laying AND moulting at the same time. I am relatively new to chicken care, and am interested in anything I can learn ... and I learn a great deal from Backyard Chickens site.

Cheers, Anniebee.

Back
Top Bottom