The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Is she going through a mild molt? If the molt is not that hard, she could lay. They usually need the protein stores to grow in new feathers. Also, how old is she?

Some birds molt, dumping all the feathers at once. My Wellies tend to do a slow long molt, looking a little raggedy for almost a month before they stop. Mine usually don't lay while in molt, but I'm sure it happens.

Is she going through a mild molt? If the molt is not that hard, she could lay. They usually need the protein stores to grow in new feathers. Also, how old is she?
Thanks Happy Chooks ...

First, Mandy is 10 months old. I wouldn't say she is in a mild moult. But then - judging by my Aussie bred Araucana's moulting, which is hard - pin feathers sticking out all over - she looks a mess .... then Mandy is in a medium moult if there is such a thing. She is losing feathers under the wings and down, and also under her tail feathers - plus some of her actual tail feathers. She seems to deliver poops during the night that are normal ( judging by what is in the nesting boxes in the morning - they sleep in them !!!! ) - but as soon as she is ( over excitedly ) let out of their coop in the morning, she delivers an enormous spray of soft bowel - and then goes about her daily routines ( whatever they may be ). She seems healthy - with bright red upstanding comb, and is an absolute pig with food. I have cut back on their access to greens recently, and they are having layer pellets mostly, with some seed / dried grass mix, bread, rice and vegies, and occasional other treats. I have generally cut back on the treats. I know they eat shed feathers ( for protein ) .... and no - I don't stand outside watching my chickens 24/7 ... LOL. But I keep a close eye on what they are doing, and how they are reacting. Being it's winter, it is an unstable environment at times. But it astonishes me that she is able to do both things at once. Lay and moult.

I cannot WAIT for spring when all this moulting business is over with - for either 6 months or a year. ( 6 months because our ultra-hot summers have had them moult at that time earlier this year ).

Thanks for your answer and enquiry.

Cheers ....... AB

Last edited:
Some birds molt, dumping all the feathers at once. My Wellies tend to do a slow long molt, looking a little raggedy for almost a month before they stop. Mine usually don't lay while in molt, but I'm sure it happens.
Thanks for your answer faykokoWV. I have posted a reply to Happy Chooks above here - and it answers what she asked, and addresses what you have said here. I sure do hope though that my Wellie, Mandy - is not in for a long moult. Mother Nature sure jiggered all that up - having birds moult in the cold to coldest times of the year ??? poor wee souls.

Cheers .......... AB

Last edited:
At 10 months, it's unusual for them to molt. I've had some pullets molt early as well, they seem to grow back in really quickly. As long as her weight looks good, I wouldn't worry about it. I would give your flock high protein treats though, it helps them through the molt.

I got my first welsummers last night. They are two days old and so cute. I'm so glad to have added these wonderful birds to my flock!

Thanks for the advice, as I may have confused you. The run is 3 metres x 2 metres x 3 metres, I didn't describe it well enough. I will hopefully have some little chicks for her to look after one day. My mother is scared of taking the eggs off the wellsummer (her name is goldie) because she pecks her viciously. We have only had them for a month now, they started laying in the first two days. My mother in the day has to poke her away with a stick, i find this harsh but its the only way.
Theo.

Back
Top Bottom