The Welsummer Thread!!!!

So excited! We got our first Welsummer egg today and I had to share it. She is 20 weeks to the day. It's a tiny little thing. Obviously it will get bigger over time, but I was curious about the color. Will it get darker? Will it always be speckled? I love the speckles! Just curious.

Here she is, Birdie

And here's her egg!
From the left: Buff Orpington, Welsummer, Silkie, Easter Egger

My 20 week old Welsummer doesn't have nearly that big of a comb yet. I think I probably have another month of waiting.
he.gif
Super pretty eggs!

Pretty girl Rainy. Her coloring may fade in the sun through the summer then when she molts it will come back in like it is now. I've only had 1 hen get darker after she molted. She got too dark (too much black in her body coloring) and she got sold to a laying home.

In experience the color stays pretty close to the same until the end of their laying cycle. Then after a period of rest which is usually a molt the eggs darken up again. The 1st eggs are usually some of the darkest.

So excited! We got our first Welsummer egg today and I had to share it. She is 20 weeks to the day. It's a tiny little thing. Obviously it will get bigger over time, but I was curious about the color. Will it get darker? Will it always be speckled? I love the speckles! Just curious.

Here she is, Birdie

And here's her egg!
From the left: Buff Orpington, Welsummer, Silkie, Easter Egger

Birdie is a beautiful chicken. The eggs will get larger for sure ( my Wellie laid small to begin with ) ... and may well darken to a terra cotta colour ( mine did - but she still occasionally lays a lighter coloured egg ). Most all her eggs have a zillion tiny speckles on them, with an occasional sprinkling of larger spots. It is Winter here in Australia, yet my RIR and Wellsummer are still laying approx. 10 - 12 eggs a week between them. Must get around to photographing my chickens soon ... been very lazy about all that !! Cheers ...... AB

Thank you so much for all the replies. Birdie is a beautiful addition to my little backyard flock. I had no idea Welsummers were such a pretty breed. So many colors and patterns in one bird. My only complaint is that she is flighty around me but I think that's my fault. I don't think we held her as often as I did my big girls when I was raising them last year. She definitely knows I am good for treats, but she grabs them quick and runs to the other side of the run. I was hoping she would calm down a little when she started laying. Maybe it's too soon to tell.

Egg-cited that sooner rather than later I can contribute to the photos and first hand breed chatter. I had an order placed with mypetchicken.com for 2 girls and a roo. The order was pushed from June 6th to Sep 16th "because the Roos were all given out as Mystery chicks". I called yesterday to ask about the details of adding to the order and was told that the have and have had males there is no reason for me to wait that long...."the person I first spoke with must have been new". Okay rolling eyes big time because it's not the first mix up with them. Long and the short of of it is they are going to try and push my order to this week or the next. Hubby is so happy happy happy because I ordered the roo for him.

Well shucks just got word my hatch date has is July 15th. It looks like I'll have to wait a bit, at least it's not the original date of September 16th.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom