The Welsummer Thread!!!!

I have a friend who has chicks from a welsummer rosster and RIR hen. Does anyone have any clue what these chicks might be like as laying hens? Do you think they would have the best of both?....lots and lots of really large dark brown eggs? That would be great!!!! Any insights or experience would really be welcomed. FYI the rooster is gorgeous from Whitmore Farms. The RIR hens produce so many eggs. Thanks

They will have the best of both! Yes, they will produce alot of eggs however it would not have the Welsummer terra cotta color, probably more muted or plain brown eggs with no real ID on which they would pick up after either parents. I have no experience in cross breeds but I've heard they are good dual purpose birds.

Thanks, Do you think the eggs would be darker than the RIRs. Theses hens produce a rosey light brown jumbo egg. I was wondering if they might be a little calmer than the RIR hens. It's alot to think about!!

Quote:
I did the cross, and they were just as dark as the welsummer eggs, I quit crossing them, just because I didnt want something to look close to the welsummer. Half of the chicks turned out looking like red sex link hens, and the rest like an single comb/bearless americana hen.

Nate

Quote:
I also just did a cross with a Welsummer Rooster and a Light Sussex hen - almost seems to be a sex link as well. Any input? Hatched out 8 chicks, 4 white, 4 tan. all the tan ones are hens.

What would you name that cross, lol!

Wellsex
lau.gif
Not touching that with a ten foot pole with that name to put on your sex links LOL!

Those crosses would make good egg producers.

Quote:
Just checking emails now. LOL - internet at home is out, my coputer had a virus. So now im using work computer and at my moms house. My computer goes into the shop tomorrow, should have it back in a few days.

:)

Nate

Back
Top Bottom