The Welsummer Thread!!!!

Well, well, well, Nate, one of your girls laid me a SPECKLED egg! Another LF egg and one Dutch bantam egg.

Woooo hooooooo! Way out!

Too bad I can not incubate them right now since they are pullet eggs. Maybe in a week or so, I MAY want to offer TEST eggs for fertility. I don't know how fertile the roo would be if his comb is frozen but he is doing his job all right!

Patty, IMO, Welsummers lay better than Marans. If they are green in color, either it is EEs or Olive Eggers.

I'll probably be incubating soon, if you would like to me to fertility test for you. (LF only, I don't do bantams here - too much hawk bait) I'm trying to arrange some eggs from Kim and a local barnevelder breeder at the same time, so I can fill up my bator at one time.

Happy Chooks, I would be happy to take you on for tester. It would be a while when ALL the girls are laying. Just let me know of the date you want them so I can collect five days worth and ship Priority. However I am NOT NPIP but all my birds ARE NPIP certified from their breeders.

I will keep the bantam eggs myself LOL!

Last edited:
Quote:
YAY!!! I got more pics of my birds today! Ill have to get uploading and posting on here!

:)

BTW - even the eggs from my LF hatch on day 22 or 23, dont know what the deal is but they do. My wellie bantams are out on day 21/22. It all turns out ok in the end with great hatches.

Nate

Quote:
Here is pic of some of what my hens are laying. I had couple that layed even darker ones. Also I live in Utah.
I put those and several of the speckled ones in the incubater. The flash kinda made them look a little bit lighter.

002-10.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah - my BIG one! ;-). I only used the small BROWER TOP HATCH for one year, and it ended up selling for what I paid for it cause I ended up getting it on sale, lol.

In the process of ordering all my chick boxes from my supplier. And they should arrive mid march! :)

Also, thinking hard about getting another big incubator!? As if hatching 75-100 chicks per week isnt enought? I need another one of those, like I need another hole in my foot!

My eggs are about that same color with the nice dark spots out of my Pure Dutch Birds.

Nate

LOLOL! I know what you mean Nate, you and me as well as the others, need a hole in our heads for more chicks and hatching eggs LOL!

The speckled eggs would take me a bit of time to get used to it but those girls really make it up to me for their size and beauty. I love those Dutchies eggs.

Yes the camera always seems to make our eggs a little lighter than normal.

Quote:
You mean these green eggs:

greeneggsandham1.jpg

Those are my Olive Eggers. A Cross between my blue Ameraucanas (hens) and my Black Copper Marans (roos).

As far as which lays better, Marans or Welsummers - I think it's a toss up. I pretty much get an egg a day from each.

Back
Top Bottom