The Welsummer Thread!!!!

I am new to Wellsummers. I ordered some this spring and there was a mix up so I ended up with two ... I think. I also ended up with Partridge Rock which I didn't order and they look so much alike I'm just not sure. I need some educated eyes to tell me if this pair are Wellsummers. Thanks!
70972_img_5849.jpg
70972_img_5850.jpg

Hey everyone - I have some questions for you wellie experts. First off, I have two wellie hens that I got from a local feedstore. Now I havn't caught them red handed, but I am pretty sure they are laying: Plain tan eggs! Could this be true?

Second, I want to order Wellie pullets from a hatchery for my small egg selling business. Can any of you recommend a hatchery that you have found offers Wellies with reasonably dark eggs? I know hatchery won't be as good as non-hatchery strains when it comes to egg color, but this is for sale at a farmers market, so a pretty dark egg is good enough.

Thanks!
bow.gif

I am in the process of building my flock at least in my head. I am building my coop and deciding on breeds Welsummer look to be a great breed. How friendly are they? I know everyone will be different but just trying to get a feel for a general consensus. I read every post in this topic and it took awhile
wink.png

After having Welsummers for three years, I can tell you that mine are fairly friendly and curious. Pretty laid back in disposition. Easy to work around and round up at dark. That's been my experience. Their eggs are the best!! I even had a hen go broody this spring and hatch 9 eggs. She turned out to be a really good mother hen, too.
wink.png

Quote:
The female definitely looks like a welsummer but she also looks to have a bit of barring in her feathers? Not so sure on the male, hard to tell with him still being so young. He looks darker than a welsummer in hackle coloring, but lighter than a partridge rock.

ETA: You made me go back and look at old pictures of my welsummer rooster to compare. Here he was when he was just beginning to get his saddle feathers.
IMG_2414.jpg

Quote:
Unfortunately, yes, it could be true. Hatchery welsummers are bred for the quantity of eggs, not quality. The best hatchery quality I've heard of is Estes Hatchery, but I've never had any of them personally.

Stumbled upon this thread and looking at pictures of this pretty breed makes me want some! Oh, dear.
roll.png

Kelly, the Olive Eggers I got from you are turning out sooo pretty! I have 2-3 girls that are black with orange lacing on their chests, 1 solid splash boy, 1 blue boy. There might be some others, can't remember?

Will try to get some pictures for you.
smile.png

~ Aspen

Last edited:
Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Stumbled upon this thread and looking at pictures of this pretty breed makes me want some! Oh, dear.
roll.png

Kelly, the Olive Eggers I got from you are turning out sooo pretty! I have 2-3 girls that are black with orange lacing on their chests, 1 solid splash boy, 1 blue boy. There might be some others, can't remember?

Will try to get some pictures for you.
smile.png

~ Aspen

I'd love to see pictures of them! So glad you are happy with them! Are they laying yet?

I just hatched a splash (well, my broody did) and I'm so hoping it's a pullet!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom