The Winter granny square swap.

It's ok, it just took a minute to figure out why it went from $6.45 to get there, but $10.25 to get home. I seldom use Priority boxes because with something like this it's cheaper to use a plain box. You taped the home-made mailing label I wrote on white paper to the outside to send it back. I'm not upset, but I'm sure glad postage didn't increase that much lol! The paid postage label that was in the box wasn't for a Priority box, the postal lady even pointed that out to me.

I did notice that in one box the postage wasn't for priority either, so I had to tear off all the priority stickers and tape. The return postage is for "parcel post". $6.53

I most likely didn't notice that with yours. I am sorry. You are right about using parcel post as being cheaper and I have no problem with that. I think it's smart to do it that way anyhow as I personally am never in a hurry in these matters. There is always plenty for me to do around here. Especially now with chick season upon us.

I have eggs in the incubator hatching and eggs under four broody hens. I haven't even got my seeds started. I keep forgetting and it's so cold.

I've started a new job too so things are really busy. We got snow last night and today and I'm trying to avoid using the snow blower.
rant.gif
The Crocus are now underneath a blanket of snow.

Take care folks.

Rancher

Yeah! My squares came today. My husband brought them in with the rest of the mail this evening. The squares are lovely and will make a lovely afghan. I can't start on them until I finish the baby quilts and baby afghans that I have to have between now and August. I go to my daughters baby shower on Saturday. I made her both a baby quilt and an afghan and also a tote bag. I made her two when she had her second son, this one is a girl and she wants two more but only had time to make one as we have company coming in on Friday from KS and had to put my sewing away and turn the room back into a guest room. I am working on another afghan for my great granddaughter due in July and will start that wuilt after company leaves and then I have another afghan to make for a friend of my daughters.

I also have eggs in the incubator. I think there are nine and they went into lockdown this evening so hopefully I will have chicks by Friday or Saturday.

Thank you again Rancher for hosting this swap. I love the blocks. Thanks to all of you that was in this swap and made such lovely blocks.

I came home from town early this evening and as I walked past the incubator I saw a surprise....a baby chick, born the day after lockdown. It's from my bany hen that is an Old English Game Hen and is Platinum in color. It looks fine. I couldn't see any more pips. There are 8 more eggs in there. It's so cute. None of my hens go broody. I wish they did. Two summers ago my Wyandottes went broody and hatched chicks but none since then.

Well it's nice to know I'm not the only one on this thread hatching. My biggest concern is my Birchen Marans. They don't seem to hatch well. I've tried a dry hatch this time round but it didn't help. It was worse all the way around.

I started my new job yesterday and I won't bother you all with details except to say. Wow! The guy who hired me got fired on Monday after orientation and now it's, Wow!!

I am sorry I've three more boxes to mail. DD mailed another one yesterday. It's just a matter of taking them to the PO, but I've chickens and chicks to take care, and house cleaning.

DW works outside the home and I can't leave everything to her. That would not be fair and the Pastor says "husbands if your wife works you need to help out around the house". So there you have it. Very busy.

Spring is a busy time isn't it? Take care and enjoy whatever weather you get.
lol.png

Rancher

I arrived home today and wasn't disappointed my box isn't here. I'm exhausted and unpacking explosively until I crash into bed. I'd rather get the box when I can take the time and energy to appreciate it. Maybe tomorrow?

I have five baby chicks now. Two are from full size hens and the other three are banty's. The 21st day isn't until tomorrow so guess they're like human babies and come when they want to. All are healthy but by tomorrow evening I'll have to remove them from the incubator as they'll need food and water. I couldn't see any more pips but hope I have more chicks tomorrow. There is a clutch of eggs in the corner of the banty coop and I'm going to leave them just in case one of my hens is going broody. Two pair of my parakeets are setting on egg/eggs. The last I looked there was only one but there could be more. My finches are setting on five eggs but last time they didn't hatch so I'll just have to wait and see.

It's good you help your wife Rancher. I hope she appreciates you. Hope all is well.

I now have 4 mommies,, 2 with 5 babies and 2 with 4 babies. They are mixed bunch but it looks my two little Frizzles have some offspring mixed in there. Screech Mouse's daughter hatched her siblings, they are the mini Bantams,, so tiny!

One of my Buff Wyandotte girls is happily taking care of 2 new babies. I am pretty excited about it, it's one of my younger girls and she's being an awesome momma, none of my older hens wanted to be bothered with all that for very long, if at all. So as hard as it is for me to let her be i am doing it and love watching her bawking around the yard with them.

her 'sister', a Splash Wyandotte, was sitting on eggs but was off for an especially long time today(i assume because of the new chicks) and they got cold so i brought them in to the incubator. I am still hoping to put them under her when they start hatching or after hatch. she's keeping the box warm for them.

Back
Top Bottom