Yeah, I definitely agree! I think part of the problem too is everything gets labeled a pit when in reality it might be a different breed or a mix and then pits take the blame :( or poorly bred ones or ones just left out, etc. And yeah, I think they're more intimidating plus they tend to do more damage. You're not likely to sue or report an attack if a Chihuahua bites your finger as you would be if a pit bull or shepherd etc. bit your arm. So there might be just as many, if not more, Chihuahua attacks but no one reports it. And also I HATE how little dogs get away with terrible behavior while big dogs are "bad dogs." Makes no sense! Like for example, a little dog snarling at someone for getting near the owner or for lunging, jumping up, barking at dogs, etc. might be "funny" or "cute" or "awwww look he's protecting mommy!" Whereas if a big dog does those EXACT SAME BEHAVIORS they are "aggressive", "mean", "vicious", "scary", a "bad dog", etc. It makes no sense to me and seriously annoys me. NO dog should be doing those things and small dogs should be held to the same standard and trained as well as big dogs. Which reminds me, why are most small dogs never trained? Another irritating thing haha not that I hate small dogs. I don't. There are some great breeds. But some people ruin them for me.

Sorry, now that that little rant is over, I bet your dogs are beautiful!

And yeah, it's sad how many are in shelters and sometimes around here I see the same ones on the site for a while :( no one wants them and they are banned from many housing and apartment complexes here :(

Thanks!

I will start with saying.... I have been bitten once and only once in my long life.
It was a Chihuahua. :hmm

I think the traditional breeds used as therapy dogs are used largely for intelligence. They are smart and very trainable.

I have owned a few pittie dogs over the years. They are extremely intelligent and eager to please. That is one reason so many are trained to fight. They are SMART and wedill do just about anything to please the owner.

Yup bad rap.

They are also banned by many insurance companies. My home owners insurance company would drop a policy holder like a hot rock for owning one.

yes and even of the stereotypical "friendly" breeds like golden retrivers and labs, not every dog is going to be a good fit for therapy dog work.
You need a calm dog that enjoys attention from people. who will set quietly for petting, not put feet on people, not want to lick hands or faces, etc

I hadn't thought of stuff like that. Is the licking just because of the germs?

That is how I would approach this. :thumbsup

My Dad has a dachsund who is a therapy dog. It really depends on the personality more than the breed.

That makes sense.

:frow Didn't I tell you to steal him (Mr. K) for me!

The postman hasn't delivered him to me yet.:hit

LOL yes, yes you did. And I didn't do it :hit

I will start with saying.... I have been bitten once and only once in my long life.
It was a Chihuahua. :hmm

I think the traditional breeds used as therapy dogs are used largely for intelligence. They are smart and very trainable.

I have owned a few pittie dogs over the years. They are extremely intelligent and eager to please. That is one reason so many are trained to fight. They are SMART and wedill do just about anything to please the owner.

Yup bad rap.

They are also banned by many insurance companies. My home owners insurance company would drop a policy holder like a hot rock for owning one.

Yeah, I feel like small breeds are more willing to bite but the bigger ones just do more damage.

That makes sense! Plus they're pretty calm and friendly usually.

Yeah, it's sad. They take advantage cause they want so hard to please :(

That's so unfair. They don't even know the dogs.

I saw that you mentioned Boston Terrier. I had one and she was great - people loved her because she was so cute, calm (unusually calm for a Boston, I think), and she just loved petting. BUT Bostons (and other bulldog breeds, apparently) are...umm...very gassy! It can be embarrassing to have your Bostie around strangers. Mine also loved to lick everything - from my face, feet, and hands, to my sheets and blankets.

He is so darn cute.
I would let him "therapy me" all day.

LOL me too! He was sooo cute and so sweet. And he loved me haha

I saw that you mentioned Boston Terrier. I had one and she was great - people loved her because she was so cute, calm (unusually calm for a Boston, I think), and she just loved petting. BUT Bostons (and other bulldog breeds, apparently) are...umm...very gassy! It can be embarrassing to have your Bostie around strangers. Mine also loved to lick everything - from my face, feet, and hands, to my sheets and blankets.

Thanks for the info! They seem like great little dogs! Are they hard to train?

And I wonder if the gas is genetic/a breed trait or if it could be diet related?

Thanks for the info! They seem like great little dogs! Are they hard to train?

And I wonder if the gas is genetic/a breed trait or if it could be diet related?

From what I've read and from my own experience with one, Bostons are very easy to train (although I can't say I did a very good job! :lol:).

I believe the gas is caused by their smushed noses - they swallow a lot of air when they eat and drink. They snore and snort a lot, too.

Still, she was the best dog I ever had.

Dogs with short faces/noses usually tend to have more "gas" related issues.

Oh my gosh so do weimaraners.

Trust me on that. :oops: since there is no emoticon for a gas mask.

From what I've read and from my own experience with one, Bostons are very easy to train (although I can't say I did a very good job! :lol:).

I believe the gas is caused by their smushed noses - they swallow a lot of air when they eat and drink. They snore and snort a lot, too.

Still, she was the best dog I ever had.

That makes sense! I never thought about that

Back
Top Bottom