She pooped so shes not egg bound and she will only eat bread. I picked her up and a bunch of feathers fell off.

Attachments

• 20181214_124512.jpg
    20181214_124512.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 9
I admire you for not giving up and having the time to nurse your birds. I have lost two this year to similar but different symptoms. The last one was just two days ago, the other birds started hurting her, I could not let her suffer so I euthanized her. It was my first time, but was the right thing to do. Next time I see anything like this it's straight to the vet. I did have a vet prescribe Baytril for a bird with a respritory infection and it fixed her. It would be nice to know what actually killed my birds. It's such a guessing game. I don't think I ever have gotten a direct answer to a sick chickens problem. At least with a vet it is an educated guess!

I admire you for not giving up and having the time to nurse your birds. I have lost two this year to similar but different symptoms. The last one was just two days ago, the other birds started hurting her, I could not let her suffer so I euthanized her. It was my first time, but was the right thing to do. Next time I see anything like this it's straight to the vet. I did have a vet prescribe Baytril for a bird with a respritory infection and it fixed her. It would be nice to know what actually killed my birds. It's such a guessing game. I don't think I ever have gotten a direct answer to a sick chickens problem. At least with a vet it is an educated guess!
Mmostly its on my other thread. Brought new birds home and they shake their heads violently. Havent seen any mites whatsoever. Theyve been on Lincomycin for 5 days. They are moody and ripping feathers out of eachother. The table birds still dont do anything but shake their heads and have foam in their eyes. Plus one walks weird. I lost 10 lbs obsessing over this and dont know what to do. Mom said to finish the medicine and just let them die off if they do. Not sure what else to do. Didnt think having chickens would be so hard.

Seems like I'm still battling with keeping Nugvet healthy. She's the only one with crappy breathing. She has finished Lincomycin with her sisters in Monday. Before that, she had amoxicillin for 10 days. She did make a few tiny lash eggs like the size of a dime. Shes been eating and drinking. Just breathing like this. What should I do? Can I still give Baytril? I dont want to mess up her tiny body. She turned 1 but she was a chick I had to help hatch. She keeps hugging me tightly trying to tell me whats wrong. I told her to hang on until I found help. But I dont know what that is...

Seems like I'm still battling with keeping Nugvet healthy. She's the only one with crappy breathing. She has finished Lincomycin with her sisters in Monday. Before that, she had amoxicillin for 10 days. She did make a few tiny lash eggs like the size of a dime. Shes been eating and drinking. Just breathing like this. What should I do? Can I still give Baytril? I dont want to mess up her tiny body. She turned 1 but she was a chick I had to help hatch. She keeps hugging me tightly trying to tell me whats wrong. I told her to hang on until I found help. But I dont know what that is...
What does her abdomen feel like?
Has she got swelling, bloat or fluid - cup your hand underneath the vent between her legs, feel of her - is it hard, soft, pliable, tight light a water balloon?

If she is the one passing lash material, then I suspect the raspy breathing would be related to that. Often that material accumulates in the oviduct and/or abdomen and presses upon the internal organs, lungs/air sac and can cause difficulty breathing.

I'm sorry I have not read back through this thread, it was originally about Nugvet correct and her passing the lash material?
Antibiotics can help for a period of time with Salpingitis, but it's usually short lived.
I'm not really sure if Baytril can help her. @casportpony may be able to help us more.

With her having 10 days of Amoxicillin, followed by a course of Lincomycin prescribed by the vet (was that for the whole flock because of suspected MG?), I just don't know if it would be too much to administer the Baytril or not to be honest.

What does her abdomen feel like?
Has she got swelling, bloat or fluid - cup your hand underneath the vent between her legs, feel of her - is it hard, soft, pliable, tight light a water balloon?

If she is the one passing lash material, then I suspect the raspy breathing would be related to that. Often that material accumulates in the oviduct and/or abdomen and presses upon the internal organs, lungs/air sac and can cause difficulty breathing.

I'm sorry I have not read back through this thread, it was originally about Nugvet correct and her passing the lash material?
Antibiotics can help for a period of time with Salpingitis, but it's usually short lived.
I'm not really sure if Baytril can help her. @casportpony may be able to help us more.

With her having 10 days of Amoxicillin, followed by a course of Lincomycin prescribed by the vet (was that for the whole flock because of suspected MG?), I just don't know if it would be too much to administer the Baytril or not to be honest.
Ill feel her abdomen tomorrow. The mox was when she broke her egg inside her. The linco was when everyone was getting mg. So my fault. Ive hurt my baby girl.

Ill feel her abdomen tomorrow. The mox was when she broke her egg inside her. The linco was when everyone was getting mg. So my fault. Ive hurt my baby girl.
None of this is your fault. You're going to have to stop blaming yourself. It is not doing you one bit of good - it's stressing you to the point that your health is going to suffer!

Feel her up in the morning and let us know what you find out.

It's also pouring here which is making their ceiling soaked. There's at least 8 pin sized holes up there. I don't see it dripping, but I see the boards are definitely wet.

Not sure if a tarp would stay on the roof. As for those spores, guess I'm walking the ladder up so I can bleach the ceiling. It needs to stop raining for two seconds so the coop can dry up.

Attachments

• 20181221_203347.jpg
    20181221_203347.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom